RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP P222 running very hot

Ulle64

Hi,

Just recieved the rest of my parts for the HP microserver gen8. I've mounted the HP smart array controller (P222) in the pci express slot. During boot and while i am configuring my new server, it just shuts down and blinking red. Ive managed to update Ilo to latest version. Please se the attached file. The temp goes up to 122 degree celsius. Anyone know why this is getting so hot?

IS the P222 faulty and needs to be replaced, or do I need to configure anything in BIOS?

ScreenShot002.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Just recieved the rest of my parts for the HP microserver gen8. I've mounted the HP smart array controller (P222) in the pci express slot. During boot and while i am configuring my new server, it just shuts down and blinking red. Ive managed to update Ilo to latest version. Please se the attached file. The temp goes up to 122 degree celsius. Anyone know why this is getting so hot?

IS the P222 faulty and needs to be replaced, or do I need to configure anything in BIOS?

The card runs hot and the air flow is not good in that part of the Gen 8. Blower fans help a lot.

That's too hot.  Is it under warranty where it can be easily exchanged?  That high of temp you're seeing so quickly tells me something is not right -- blower fans may help or it may be that the heat sink isn't properly applied.  Set you BIOS on your Gen8 to "Increased Cooling" and see if that helps at all.

Edited by Joe_Miner

You are running the server with the lid on, aren't you?  The fan doesn't do anything if the case lid is off, which will nuke a hot running card like the P222.

+1

Also, if you have no additional cooling in the case, then you must set the most aggressive fan profile to get the card in temp range (50C ish).

If you live in a hot country you might never succeed with this - ambient room temperature is a big factor.

Lastly, I posted some time ago that the P222 thermal paste can be badly applied at the factory - I think somebody quoted that their board looked like the sink had been applied by a 2 year old.

+1  +1

Really good point about the needing to have the case on the MicroServer to provide any cooling to the P222.  Also good point about checking some of the past threads on cooling the P222.

One of the things a lot of people do (and who knows, maybe some people at factories too) is to put too much thermal paste on heatsinks. Too much paste can actually lead to poorer cooling performance rather than better. Thinner is better.

These are a little bit old, but here you can see the state my first P222 arrived in...

It came out of the factory like that and did run pretty hot  :blink:

I cleaned it up, reapplied the paste and it did improve quite a bit.

DSCN9797

DSCN9798

This might sound mad, but I also wonder if you could use a long PCIe riser to somehow flip the card and suspend it in place with zip ties instead of the bracket (got a riser knocking about somewhere from my bitcoin mining days). Its a bit ghetto, but I'll bet the other side has more airflow.