RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive Resident Scanner Options

ikon

I'm looking for a resident hard drive scanner utility for my WHS2011. Here are some of the criteria:

1. Stablebit Scanner is NOT an option because it clashes with my USB3 card and the JMicron controllers in my Lian Li EX-503 enclosures;

2. SpinRite (my fave drive scanner) is not viable because it can't be resident, and it can't handle drives over 2TB;

3. I want the utility to periodically scan the drive sectors, not just read SMART values;

4. I want the utility to be resident, so that it automatically starts up after system reboots;

5. I want the utility to be compatible with WHS2011. It would be nice if it can run on Win7, Win8, and WS2012/r2 as well. It does not have to be a WHS2011 Add-in.

I'm about to give HD Sentinel a try. Does anyone know if it does sector scanning? I've also downloaded CheckDrive and will try it if HD Sentinel doesn't work out. Does anyone have any other suggestions/comments?

I use hd Sentinel to test and burn in drives these days since as you pointed out spinrite does not work on large drives. HDS does sector scanning and can run as a service. There are several sector scanning options, simple read, write or refresh (like spinrite). The one annoying thing is that the vendor supplied dll for jmicron takes a long time to scan smart data. This does not affect os performance and I can live with this.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a resident hard drive scanner utility for my WHS2011. Here are some of the criteria:

1. Stablebit Scanner is NOT an option because it clashes with my USB3 card and the JMicron controllers in my Lian Li EX-503 enclosures;

2. SpinRite (my fave drive scanner) is not viable because it can't be resident, and it can't handle drives over 2TB;

3. I want the utility to periodically scan the drive sectors, not just read SMART values;

4. I want the utility to be resident, so that it automatically starts up after system reboots;

5. I want the utility to be compatible with WHS2011. It would be nice if it can run on Win7, Win8, and WS2012/r2 as well. It does not have to be a WHS2011 Add-in.

I'm about to give HD Sentinel a try. Does anyone know if it does sector scanning? I've also downloaded CheckDrive and will try it if HD Sentinel doesn't work out. Does anyone have any other suggestions/comments?

Today BitsDuJour has the Standard version of HD Sentinel for free and a 50% discount on the Pro Version. 

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/hard-disk-sentinel/src=day?utm_source=DailyBits&utm_medium=email&utm_content=hard-disk-sentinel+Link&utm_campaign=2015-01-03+Mac+%26+PC+B

Did you contact Stablebit about the problem with Scanner and your controllers?

More or less.

Which reminds me... Ikon, check your inbox.

Also, HDDScan will work for this, IIRC. 

In fact, I stumbled upon a nice site a while back for finding alternative software:

http://alternativeto.net/software/hard-disk-sentinel/