RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Louie

New G7 N40L I received

Louie

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and so far like the forum. Very good information i read on here. I'm just having trouble finding the correct answer regarding drives and memory for the server. 

I received this micro server G7 N40L for free from my boss. All it had was the standard driver it came with and 2 gig of memory. I was able to upgrade the BIOS a couple weeks ago. Now I would like to add more memory to the server and add at least a couple drives. My purpose is to build test lab for my training that I'm taking on MCSA. 

At the moment I was able to t load Hyper-v core on it. I'm able to connect from a win8 machine and create VM's on it but man do they run very slow. I would like to have more space and memory but have trouble finding the correct ones. If anyone could point me in the right directions that would be great. 

Thank you once again and I'm sorry if this was answered before. I did search the forum before posting in case you were wondering. 

Thanks,

Louie

Thank you very much for the link. I will check it out now.  I was using our friend 'Google' on the line hahahah when I came across this blog. I notice he talked about 3 different kind of memory he installed. I was wondering have you ever heard of anything like this?

http://www.virten.net/2012/04/vsphere-5-homelab-esx-on-hp-proliant-n40l-microserver/#comment-394990

I was thinking of getting the 'Patroit Gamer 2 series 16gb 240-Pin DDR3 PC3'  . He did mention it worked okay on the system since they are 8gig each. Let me know what you think about it okay.

ikon

I can't speak to the RAM sticks directly. I did put 2x4GB RAM modules into an N40L, but I don't remember which ones. That's why I pointed out the other thread. The people posting there have experience with the different RAM modules.

Joe_Miner

You should check out this thread: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/

You should upgrade you RAM to at least 8GB, which is pretty easy to do. Upgrading to 16GB is more difficult because you have to watch out for RAM compatibility issues.

Thanks ikon for posting that great link.  Additionally, I'd suggest Louie look thru the links at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/

The link that ikon suggested http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/has many useful topic headings that you can read thru.....

Such as the one for RAM

RAM  Wikia!!

Discussions RAM for MicroServer,!  Anyone using 2x8 kits,!  N40L RAM Compatibility,! SBS Diva using 16GB,! 16GB RAM Ideas for MicroServer,!

You'll find that 8GB is recommended for a "Production" machine with "critical" information but for a learning/play machine you can go with 16GB but you need to recognize that 16GB is problematic for many people and it varies from Machine to Machine as well as one RAM stick brand to another.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Louie

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try out the 8gig first and see how that goes. If I notice that I don't have enough ram for my VM's I will try to get the same ram and see if I could go with the 16gig one. 

One other thing I heard of people installing 5 drives in the machine to make it into a big storage machine. What are good not to expensive drives to buy? I would like them to be from 1TD and up if possible that will work with the N40L series.

Joe_Miner

There is a "Drives" section in the page of Links referenced above.  I would start there first to see what other people are using and learn their experiences/performance.