RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
b_spock

How to prevent BIOS (RBSU) reset to default ?

GotNoTime

Just doesn't seem to be a real fix for this issue even though it affects lots of people/devices!

Erm. The fix is for the Xpenology team to alter it and I'm pretty sure it only affects Xpenology users since it is the Synology software trying to write to the Synology NAS settings. HP isn't at fault when third party software overwrites the NVRAM settings with garbage since the ability to read/write NVRAM is part of following the PC "standard". Only the first portion of the NVRAM is actually standardised. Everything after that is manufacturer specific and undefined along with access methods. The Gen8 Microserver has the traditional battery backed NVRAM as it uses an old style PC BIOS. It doesn't have UEFI firmware which stores its settings in flash which would be immune to this.

I don't expect there to be a fix for this from HP and it may not even be possible to fix even if HP wanted to. Bug the Xpenology people.

Edited by GotNoTime

CaptainFred

Yeah I realise it's not a HP issue. But if there was a way to lock the bios or something that would be a better workaround. I'm just surprised not as many people are talking about it given the amount of people with microservers and people running xpenology. Prehaps not as many people as I think. It also resets the drive settings which confused me for some time.. I set them to AHCI then after a boot into xpenology they were back to not configured.

Anyway yeah I'll ask on xpenology forum.

Would the same issue occur if xpenology was running in a VM? Would the VM bios get screwed and reset each time?

Edited by CaptainFred

GotNoTime

Would the same issue occur if xpenology was running in a VM? Would the VM bios get screwed and reset each time?

It doesn't occur in a VM from what I understand. What I'm now wondering if is whatever access method that Synology is using is the same as the one HP uses for the extended portions of the NVRAM. Whatever it is doing, doesn't work inside a VM and on other hardware so thats why not many people are complaining about it. I suspect most Gen8 Microserver users are just running Xpenology in a VM as well due to the number of questions about it in this forum.

CaptainFred

Really? I'd be surprised if most were running it in a VM. I was planning to do this when I get more RAM myself tho. I guess the fact that xpenology provide a VMDK bootloader they've made sure it works properly. There is other people on the xpenology forum with different hardware with the problem although a lot of the posts are quite old like this thread so who knows what the current situation is.

flipper

there is no issue whene running Xpenology on a VM. 

CaptainFred

there is no issue whene running Xpenology on a VM.

Thanks so if you make a change in the bios then boot xpenology then reboot the change is kept?

CaptainFred

Ok thanks for confirming.

CaptainFred

yes it is

Do you have your data in VMDKs or RDMs?

flipper

data in RDM, vmdk on a ssd