RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Show Multiple Users on Win 8 Logon Screen with Domain?

The Jason

My previous WS2012E install was troublesome for quite some time -- I run 2012E in a VM with a Server 2012 host.  So I created a new 2012E VM and started to process to migrate to the new server. When I connected the first client PC to the server, I forgot to redo the skip domain join, and the PC joined the new domain. I decided to give it a try, and transferred the local profiles to the respective domain accounts and everything seems to be working fine.

Except... I'd really like to have multiple domain users on the logon screen, rather than just the last user to log in and "other user". The reason is that I have young children and don't want them to have to enter a username and password, but they can easily click on their picture and enter a short pin/password.

There's a ton of stuff on the web about this, but nothing seems to say that it can be done while on a domain. If there's no way, I'll just remove the PC from the domain, and go back to local accounts (and be sure to skip domain join for the rest of the PCs in the house), but I like the idea of centrally managing the user accounts.

Nope, as far as I'm aware this cannot be done on a domain.

It cache's the last login for convenience..... but otherwise, you'd need to login using the name and password. They shouldn't need to type the domain name though.

However, "fixing" this is as simple as leaving the domain (run "control system", click on "Change settings" then "Network ID" and select the "part of a home network" option).

I know it's possible to log onto a Domain from a Client Computer, using an account that's not the default one for that computer. I've done it thousands of times. I think there's a Domain setting that can prevent this behavior.

I know it's possible to log onto a Domain from a Client Computer, using an account that's not the default one for that computer. I've done it thousands of times. I think there's a Domain setting that can prevent this behavior.

You mean aside from the "other user" tile, which requires you to input a username and password? (which then changes the default tile)

What I mean is I would go to a Client Computer, boot it up, and when the login prompt came up, I would change the default credentials to my own and log in with no issue.

What I mean is I would go to a Client Computer, boot it up, and when the login prompt came up, I would change the default credentials to my own and log in with no issue.

As you should, as long as you had domain credentials.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been searching high and low for a few days now trying to find a way to do this. I really want to keep my home computers on the domain, to learn, for the simplicity of it in handling tasks etc....but the family all gripe about having to login without the easy picture and pin approach. I am also trying to find a way to get my HTPC to autologin as well..having to log that in is a PITA as well...

I can't believe there isn't a way to do this....