RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III $59.99

schoondoggy

SO if you use cloning software for the SSD rather than installing the OS from scratch what do you do next? Turn off defragmenting? Turn off the page file? Does Windows detect anything and make changes automagically?

If you're trying to clone, I would have some concern about TRIM support. Installing Win7 or later from scratch will ensure that the OS is installed so that it supports the SSD properly. You can do the required settings yourself manually, but you need to ensure they're done in order to maximize the lifespan of the SSD: things like the cache file.

Thanks for the link. I read the article. Not sure I buy the bit about 16G of memory before disabling the page file though. IF I monitor (via Task Manager) my memory usage and it rarely, if ever, reports page file usage larger than available uncommitted memory doesn't that men I can zero the page file without a performance hit?

Thanks for the link. I read the article. Not sure I buy the bit about 16G of memory before disabling the page file though. IF I monitor (via Task Manager) my memory usage and it rarely, if ever, reports page file usage larger than available uncommitted memory doesn't that men I can zero the page file without a performance hit?

The gotchya is the "rarely" part. If page file usage exceeds uncommitted RAM it could cause issues.