RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing up Bitcoin Blockchain

Poppapete

Poppapete

I have a few bitcoins (3) that I bought for less than $10 each.

I keep them in my own wallet.dat file which means I am part of the PTP community and must keep the blockchain up to date by running the Bitcoin software. If the files become corrupt you have to start from the beginning and this can take up to 24 hours if all goes without a hitch.

My files seem to be corrupted every couple of weeks of late.

My questions.

1. Could one of my backup programs corrupt the files while trying to backup the bitcoin files while they are being updated.

2. If I take a backup of the completed "up to date blockchain" and when/if the files become corrupted I could restore the last known uncorrupted version then the update would only need to update for the last week rather than from the beginning.

Hope all this makes sense.

PS. Of course I have done a fair bit of googleing the problem but it appears a lot of people out there with bitcoins have no idea what their talking about re IT.

Drashna Jaelre

I'd blame antivirus first, actually. If you're using windows, the real time protection works by using a file system filter, which can cause issues. And some backup programs use these filters as well (as does defrag).

"fltmc" from an elevated command prompt is a good way to check that.

Also, have you checked the event viewer for disk related issues?

Poppapete

Had no idea antivirus could do that but it makes sense when you think about it. I have no antivirus other than what comes with 8.1 (Defender is it not). I rely on my Sophos which I have you to thank for.

I will look into "fltmc". A new one for me.

Thank you.

Drashna Jaelre

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't realize just how much these filters (antivirus included) could cause issues until I started working for Covecube.

But yeah, anytime something "weird" happens with files, fltmc is a good go-to. It lists all the file system filters. You can google the names to get a good idea about them. And they're treated much like services. So you can run "net stop" on them, IIRC.

Another good question would be if the system is automatically defragmenting or doing anything else.

Poppapete

So I am backing up the files after updating  the bitcoin chain (once a week, using Acronis).

If the chain "breaks" I will try a restore and see if puts me back just a week rather than 3 years.

Just wondering, is it really worth mining BitCoins any more? From a couple of articles I read, you need a farm of computers to do any significant mining. I saw one video from China that showed a brand new BitCoin farm being set up. They were installing hundreds of computers with high end GPUs. How does an individual compete with that?

Poppapete

I'm not mining them just storing them on my computer.  I don't trust anyone else.

It hasn't been worth mining them with a desktop and a couple of GPU's for a couple of years.

Drashna Jaelre

Exactly. Why don't you just cash them in?

Especially as their value has been dropping, IIRC.