RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N36L upgrading to G8 1610T

FISHERMAN

Hello everybody ! I wish you happy holidays and lots of time to spent on your favorite hobby.

I am a very happy owner of N36L for about two years. I had its bios modded to 041 and with the use of the external esata cable i have an ssd

Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB booting Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Enterprise Edition 64-bit. Also i installed an ASUS EAH6450 Series 1gb

and 4GB RAM PC3-10700 (667 MHz) Kingston keeping also the default PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 1gb Micron Technology.

My system has 4x4TB H.D.D + SSD 64GB (boot) + 2TB H.D.D in the same caddy where the optical drive is situated. Also I have USB3 external enclosure connected with 4x2TB H.D.D to the rear USB ports of the N36L.

All drives are just for storage. Movies,Music,Pictures,Applications e.t.c every drive has its stuff. NO RAID, NO BACKUP or any other need for special features. Just storage.

I use this server to keep all my data in one place and have the ability to access them from other computers through the workgroup network.

I was pretty satisfied with N36L, until i tried a few more things. Installed Logitech Squeezebox server to connect to my Logitech Touch and iSpy in order to record from my 2 standard definition and 1 High definition IP FOSCAM cameras. The cpu utilization kept in 100% making the server useless. Although i uninstalled Logitech Server, N36L cannot catch up with any other IP surveillance software i tried. I also used many guides reducing services,optimising windows e.t.c, but cpu just went 10% down.

So i ordered G8 1610T. I have been reading this forum for about two days now and i am lost. My plans are to make my G8 setup as close as to my N36L and try to use the extra cpu power to fulfill my above mentioned expectations. :)

1) In order to use my SSD to boot, which of the already mentioned procedures is currently valid? a.(microSD method?) b.(change cables from sata1 to ODD). - what else i need to do this? cables,power adaptors.? It would be perfect if i could fit again my SSD and 2TB H.D.D where the O.D.D is situated like in the N36L. Is this possible?

Which modes i have to enable? IDE?AHCI? Will my H.D.Ds be recognized on the new system without any loss of data?

2) iLo is like teamviewer, but starting from the hardware even before OS is booted? can i do file transfer e.t.c Spending another 30euro for a licence from Ebay is not a big deal. Do you recommend it? I saw that there is also an android app to monitor stuff on the server which makes it

even cooler! :P

3) Is there any way i can connect my N36L to my new G8 to maximize the storage? Like a second H.D.D box.

I am truly sorry for my very long post, i just needed to be sure i explained everything step by step. 

Edited by FISHERMAN

1) I have read about the 9.5mm caddy option. What does this option offer? Just having the disk in a safer place? Not having to buy extra cables (floppy to molex e.t.c)? or it helps to avoid the above mentioned sd card "trick"?

2) Using the legacy mode option isn't everything easier? am i missing something? Am i losing transfer speed? 

3)  I want to buy also the SDM bracket in order to put one more 4TB HDD in the side of the case. What extra cables will i need? Do i also have to drill the case

or SCHOONDOGGY has everything premade?  Do i need the SOC if i buy a 9.5mm caddy?

I do not want to use an extra sata card, since i need the pci-e slot for my VGA. 

Since i am going for the AHCI setup will iLO4 work for me? i also want to buy an advanced licence from ebay. Does it only work with raid?

Edited by FISHERMAN

Hello everybody ! I wish you happy holidays and lots of time to spent on your favorite hobby.

I am a very happy owner of N36L for about two years. I had its bios modded to 041 and with the use of the external esata cable i have an ssd

Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB booting Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Enterprise Edition 64-bit. Also i installed an ASUS EAH6450 Series 1gb

and 4GB RAM PC3-10700 (667 MHz) Kingston keeping also the default PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 1gb Micron Technology.

My system has 4x4TB H.D.D + SSD 64GB (boot) + 2TB H.D.D in the same caddy where the optical drive is situated. Also I have USB3 external enclosure connected with 4x2TB H.D.D to the rear USB ports of the N36L.

All drives are just for storage. Movies,Music,Pictures,Applications e.t.c every drive has its stuff. NO RAID, NO BACKUP or any other need for special features. Just storage.

I use this server to keep all my data in one place and have the ability to access them from other computers through the workgroup network.

I was pretty satisfied with N36L, until i tried a few more things. Installed Logitech Squeezebox server to connect to my Logitech Touch and iSpy in order to record from my 2 standard definition and 1 High definition IP FOSCAM cameras. The cpu utilization kept in 100% making the server useless. Although i uninstalled Logitech Server, N36L cannot catch up with any other IP surveillance software i tried. I also used many guides reducing services,optimising windows e.t.c, but cpu just went 10% down.

So i ordered G8 1610T. I have been reading this forum for about two days now and i am lost. My plans are to make my G8 setup as close as to my N36L and try to use the extra cpu power to fulfill my above mentioned expectations. :)

1) In order to use my SSD to boot, which of the already mentioned procedures is currently valid? a.(microSD method?) b.(change cables from sata1 to ODD). - what else i need to do this? cables,power adaptors.? It would be perfect if i could fit again my SSD and 2TB H.D.D where the O.D.D is situated like in the N36L. Is this possible?

Which modes i have to enable? IDE?AHCI? Will my H.D.Ds be recognized on the new system without any loss of data?

2) iLo is like teamviewer, but starting from the hardware even before OS is booted? can i do file transfer e.t.c Spending another 30euro for a licence from Ebay is not a big deal. Do you recommend it? I saw that there is also an android app to monitor stuff on the server which makes it

even cooler! :P

3) Is there any way i can connect my N36L to my new G8 to maximize the storage? Like a second H.D.D box.

I am truly sorry for my very long post, i just needed to be sure i explained everything step by step. 

1. To fit a SSD and a drive in the Gen8 ODD bay the 2TB drive would need to be a 2.5" 9.5mm drive. Also you would need more SATA ports, the Gen8 has 5 and no eSATA port. 

2. iLo allows remote access, but it is more of a monitoring tool.

3. Not really. I think you may want to consider using the N36L for some of your needs and the Gen8 for others. spread out the work load.

1) I have read about the 9.5mm caddy option. What does this option offer? Just having the disk in a safer place? Not having to buy extra cables (floppy to molex e.t.c)? or it helps to avoid the above mentioned sd card "trick"?

2) Using the legacy mode option isn't everything easier? am i missing something? Am i losing transfer speed? 

3)  I want to buy also the SDM bracket in order to put one more 4TB HDD in the side of the case. What extra cables will i need? Do i also have to drill the case

or SCHOONDOGGY has everything premade?  Do i need the SOC if i buy a 9.5mm caddy?

I do not want to use an extra sata card, since i need the pci-e slot for my VGA. 

Since i am going for the AHCI setup will iLO4 work for me? i also want to buy an advanced licence from ebay. Does it only work with raid?

1. It gives you an easy way to mount the drive. You still need cables and the mSD card to boot.

2. By the way you have the drives configured, AHCI seems like the right way to go, but your fan speed may be a bit loud.

3. The only 3.5" drives that will fit on the SDM are very thin ones. Usually, only a 1TB. The SOC should work with the caddy, but I have not tried it.

Also, if you cannot add a SATA controller you are limited to 5 drives total.

Case closed....SCHOONDOGGY said it all !!!! anyway do you still have these kits available for order? Are you shipping to Greece?

Since i am going to use the AHCI mode, do i lose anything regarding iLo? I want to buy the advanced licence.

I read somewhere about iLo compatible SSD , 3 models i think where included. What is the advantage of them?

Personally, I think you're going to be disapointed with the Gen8 after being a long term NL36 user.  

I've totally given up on my Gen8, I can't get on with it at all, especially the noise.  Power consumption is unacceptable too, it uses far too much power doing nothing, thanks to the pointless iLO sucking 8W and the Ivy Bridge CPU not clocking down enough.  Sitting idle, the Haswell Xeon Lenovo I have literally uses half the power of the Gen8, and is an awful lot quieter.  The Gen8, even when running in RAID mode is loud enough to be audible across the house, the Lenovo is so quiet you need to be standing right beside it to hear it running.

There is no way back now..for sure i am going to keep my N36L, though i was thinking to sell it in order to buy more ram,cables .e.t.c for G8. Anyway for 20 years now i have given so much money and time for my hobbies ( game consoles,pc,gps,satellite receivers) it won't hurt me much to "play" with this also. Thanks for the heads up though !!  

Personally, I think you're going to be disapointed with the Gen8 after being a long term NL36 user.  

I've totally given up on my Gen8, I can't get on with it at all, especially the noise.  Power consumption is unacceptable too, it uses far too much power doing nothing, thanks to the pointless iLO sucking 8W and the Ivy Bridge CPU not clocking down enough.  Sitting idle, the Haswell Xeon Lenovo I have literally uses half the power of the Gen8, and is an awful lot quieter.  The Gen8, even when running in RAID mode is loud enough to be audible across the house, the Lenovo is so quiet you need to be standing right beside it to hear it running.

In my experience Dell T20 is quiet compared to the HP MicroServer N54L.

So the Dell T20 has to be also quiet compared to HP Microserver Gen8.