RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
riahc3

WD RED 3TB on N54L w/ ESXi 5.5

cskenney

I only changed the title because I was thinking along the path of the first few posts.  There are many that have run WD Reds in an N54L.  However, riahc3 mentioned specifically ESXi5.5.  So maybe the title should say under Hyper-V?

ikon

I think he's trying to make up his mind about VM tech. Sounds like he would use ESXi if someone could tell him it works properly, but is willing to use Hyper-V if that is the recommendation. Could be I'm misreading it though.

Joe_Miner

I've run it with Red 4TBs also - up to 5 at once

-snip-

What BIOS?

Factory and Modded BIOS (i.e. Both) but I have yet to run ESXi on the G7-- which I realize now ESXi experience is what you.re asking for.

I did run WHS2011 in a Hyper-V VM under S2008R2 on a N40L for a few months with 2 ST3000DM001's passed through to WHS2011 but that doesn't address your specific situation unfortunately.

riahc3

I have no idea what the last posts were about...

I am running (right now and since months) ESXi 5.5

I have two VM: pfSense and WS2012R2.

I pass thru RDM a WD 3TB RED HDD.

For example, I passed about 1.0TB of files thru 2 days or so from a PC to the RDM drive thur network sucessfully. I shutdown the WS2012R2 and the pfSense VM. Restarted thru the vSphere Client, ESXi 5.5 Turned it back on and now again it is telling me reinitalize the WD 3TB RED HDD.

Thats what Im trying to figure out: Is it a ESXi problem, a HDD (not likely as Ive changed it), a N54L (not likely as I have changed it too), a BIOS (not likely as Ive tried both modded and nonmodded) etc....Im ripping my hair out almost...

Edited by riahc3

riahc3

Im starting to think it is time to sell the N54L.

It has 10GB RAM. How much do you guys think I can get for it?

jmwills

$200 would be fair.

riahc3

$200 would be fair.

Are you serious?

A new 2 GB RAM one is at $270. Mine has 10GB PLUS the RAC card.

jmwills

Put it on E-bay at your price and see how many hits you get. What you value it at and what it will sell for are two different things.

I did check E-Bay and yes modt evetything is selling, or trying to sell at full retail. I'd pull the card and post it at $250 or but it now for $225. Nothing I saw had any active bids.

schoondoggy

As jmwills said, I think you would make more money if you part it out. A bare MS will move quicker. People tend to want to buy a clean slate that they can build up. Your 2 and 8 memory modules sell to people that are trying to make a matched set.

riahc3

As jmwills said, I think you would make more money if you part it out. A bare MS will move quicker. People tend to want to buy a clean slate that they can build up. Your 2 and 8 memory modules sell to people that are trying to make a matched set.

Ah, by parts. Yup, I might indeed make a quicker buck this way but in the long run, Ill probably get less....

I mean, I really DON'T want to sell it but this issue with the 3TB really makes the N54L unusable.

Another curiosity: Does the N54L natively use a BIOS or UEFI? Im starting to think that maybe the GPT partition table corruption is because of ESXi's VM emulating EFI instead of using BIOS.