RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

32GB RAM in HP Microserver gen8

Ulle64

Hi forum.

Been talking to theese guys http://www.intelligentmemory.com/

According to them it will never be possible to fit 16 GB modules Unbuffered ECC. Not because they dont make it, because they do, but because Intels low end Xeon dosnt allow it. see my questions to them:

Me: Hi,
im planning to upgrade my HP Microserver Gen 8 with more RAM.
Is it possible to fit 2 x 16 GB memmory total of 32 GB with your new memmory
Don: Hi There
would you have me the exact CPU ?
Me: the cpu is upgraded to Intel Xeon 1265 V2
Don: here is the issue...Intel has a software limitation in their BIOS for most of their CPU which don´t let the system understand more that 8GB per module
but for e.g. AMD this issue does not exist
it´s really just an Intel bug
Intel want´s you to buy the very new and expensive server CPUs just as Avoton C2000 to get 16GB modules running, because this supports it. And that´s why it´s even unlikely they will provide a BIOS update for the "low cost" Xeon series. It´s frustrating for thousands of end users out there...
Me: well as far as I know the Bios from HP is AMI. according to the website homeservershow, the server are able to manage 16GB modules, but they are hard to find
Don: the BIOS may come from AMI but Intel still controls the content.
could you show me the link where it says the 16GB is supported?
Me: yes just a moment
Don: thx
Me: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5899-gen8-memory-non-ecc/

I see nothing in that thread that says 32GB is possible. I saw one post where someone said they wanted 32GB, but I didn't find a single one where someone said they had it working.

I don't think Intel is to blame, XEON E3 support 32GB of memory.

Gen8 MicroServer and the ML310e use the same chipset family and XEON CPU, but the ML310e support 32GB versus 16GB on the MS.

The other difference is that the ML310e has four Dimm slots versus two on the MS. Intel does note that Dimm configuration can effect maximum memory.

Perhaps the issue is, to get to 32GB you need to have four Dimm's. Then the issue would be a design issue, it would be tough to fit four Dimm's in a MS Gen8.

• 3 weeks later...

According specs the E3 1200 series cpu supports up to 8gb per dimm slot.

(see: http://www.intel.de/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-e3-1200v2-vol-1-datasheet.pdf, Table 2-2, page 22)

Since the gen8 mainboard is restricted to 2 dimm slots, there is no way to break through the 16gb barrier.

No 16gb udimm, bios hack or whatever will help here, except replacing the mainboard with a mini-itx board that has 4 dimm slots.

Edited by kopfpilot

BTW as I've found accidentally - only ONE memory module (in first slot) should be UDIMM to successfull start of HP Microserv Gen8 (G1610T in my case).

I've experimented with various modules and somehow 4Gb UDIMM Hynix and 8Gb RDIMM Samsung were installed together. I have a pair of both modules: first pair works well, second one caused a hangup on 90% of POST. So I was surprised to see 12Gb RAM and both UDIM and RDIMM in System information -> Memory section of iLO system information.

I have 16Gb RDIMM module in office so I'm going to test server with such mix memory config with 20Gb RAM ASAP.

Sure I understand different memory type/size mixing it's not good but it works somehow (I've booted server with some WindowsPE/Linux live CDs and run memory tests - no any problems found) and in some cases can be usefull. Not 32Gb but 20 at least...

Edited by Sergey
  • Like 1

You can mix RAM stick sizes. What you lose is dual channeling, which makes memory access a bit slower.

I would be surprised if the 16GB stick will work at all. Two 8GB sticks would be good; not 20GB, but 16GB is close ;)

You can mix RAM stick sizes. What you lose is dual channeling, which makes memory access a bit slower.

Unless you have a CPU that supports Flex Memory, which is bascially the Ivy Bridge Xeons.