RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Home Server - 1st Build

jservais

That's the thing. For me, I have to have the Client Backup capability that WHS provides. Win8.1 doesn't have that. CrashPlan, or any other online backup, is not an option. Client Backup is my primary reason for having a server.

That's the thing. For me, I have to have the Client Backup capability that WHS provides. Win8.1 doesn't have that. CrashPlan, or any other online backup, is not an option. Client Backup is my primary reason for having a server.

I wasn't talking to you.  I was talking to the OP.  Crashplan does local backups too, I use it heavily and not one byte is online.

I wasn't talking to you.  I was talking to the OP.  Crashplan does local backups too, I use it heavily and not one byte is online.

I don't think there's any reason to be rude. Let's keep it polite and civil.

While the OP didn't specifically mention backup, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be brought up in the general topic of "How would you build a home server?". I was simply pointing out a limitation of Win8.1 - it doesn't have WHS-style client backup (WHS here is referring to any and all iterations of the product line). That's not a recommendation or suggestion for the OP to not use Win8.1; it's simply a checklist item to consider.

CrashPlan is a fine product, used by a number of members. I don't use it, not only because I don't do online backup, but also because it doesn't have Single Instance Storage. Without SIS, my backups would blow up to 3 or 4 times their current size, necessitating me to install more and/or larger hard drives. Neither option is particularly appealing.

Considering the OP never mentioned backups, and only mentioned media storage for HTPCs, I think you're making a big assumption that backups are anything he's interested in. So, recommending WHS2011 over a modern OS that's available makes no sense.

Considering the OP never mentioned backups, and only mentioned media storage for HTPCs, I think you're making a big assumption that backups are anything he's interested in. So, recommending WHS2011 over a modern OS that's available makes no sense.

Not much to say. I already explained why I think it's a valid topic.

ps: I never recommended WHS2011.