RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AHCI vs RAID

Harroguk

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but using RAID on the Gen8 means that your disks will never spin down.

Using AHCI, they will, so that's the main reason I'm choosing that over RAID when I get my Gen8.

And that clears it up for me

AHCI is to be used if you want to move the disks easily to another machine or if the file system you are using does not work well with RAID.

RAID is better if you OS does not like the Redundant FIlesystem options (Hello windows) or if you simply prefer a hardware redundancy system in place.

Although further reading now shows that the inbuilt RAID controller doesn't support RAID5, only 1 and 0. So it looks like I need to invest in a RAID card (I will be running Windows) before I continue my plans but they bring their own (temperature) problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The B120i will run RAID10 as well.

If you go to a real RAID controller, the P222 works well with the Gen8, but as you have mentioned heat is an issue with most controllers in the Gen8 as there is not good airflow.

My concern is that as I live in Singapore the ambient 26-28 degrees might be a little high to try and add a P222 (which does seem to be the better card) I see that you added some blowers to bring the temp down though.

Also, can the P222 dynamically adjust the size of the RAID (If I have 4x3TB could I gradually replace them with 4TB disks and then expand the logical volumr or does it require a complete rebuild of the array?)

I have not played with it much, but RAID expansion is covered in here:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00729544

On any controller with RAID5 to do what you are describing above you would need to replace a drive, let the array rebuild, then replace another drive and let the array rebuild, until you replaced all of the drives. then you could expand the array.

And that clears it up for me

AHCI is to be used if you want to move the disks easily to another machine or if the file system you are using does not work well with RAID.

RAID is better if you OS does not like the Redundant FIlesystem options (Hello windows) or if you simply prefer a hardware redundancy system in place.

Although further reading now shows that the inbuilt RAID controller doesn't support RAID5, only 1 and 0. So it looks like I need to invest in a RAID card (I will be running Windows) before I continue my plans but they bring their own (temperature) problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah the B120i only supports raid 1 and 0.

You can upgrade it with this and then it will give you RAID 5:

• Optional features: 512MB Flash Back Write Cache (FBWC)

Here's a page that has some info  http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/dynamicsmartarray/index.html

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but using RAID on the Gen8 means that your disks will never spin down.

Using AHCI, they will, so that's the main reason I'm choosing that over RAID when I get my Gen8.

Hmm, this is bad news for me.

The B120i also supports RAID10, it will not support RAID5 as there is no slot to add the memory card in the Gen8 MS.

What slot does it need?