RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

eSATA port multiplier card for HP N54L with Windows 2012r2?

erlewis

I have a StarTech.com PEXESATA322I and Windows Server 2012r2 and HP G7 N54L server.  I've run the driver setup program twice but each time the folder in  program files (x8) is empty.  I want to use SATA port multiplier to access up to four SATA drives in an external Mediasonic Probox that does support port multiplier.  The OS sees only the first of two drives although the card's BIOS sees both of the installed drives.  Clearly this is an OS driver issue and Windows cannot do it on its own. 

StarTech support said that the card supports Windows Server 2012 but does not support Windows Server 2012r2.  Otherwise, this is the card everyone needs to get for simple external storage for off-site copy and on-site server backup.  I hope StarTech will develop a driver in the future.

I've carefully read the many posts about flashing a BIOS mod that exposes the port multiplier feature on the HP N54L motherboard eSATA port.  As best I can determine, the BIOS mod o41072911mod.com that enables port multiplier has been superseded by the new HP BIOS SP64420.exe that addresses Windows 2012r2 issues.  I updated the BIOS with the new HP code and have successfully installed Windows Server 2012r2.  However, I am not aware of a subsequent BIOS mod that branches from this new official BIOS and because I am running an OS that depends on the fixes I fear using the older BIOS mod would lead to disaster.

The previous official HP BIOS file name is o41072911.com and the mod BIOS with port multiplier is o41072911mod.com.

The new official HP BIOS file name is o41100113.rom

I hope Joe Miner or the many others who have contributed so much to this topic will reply and set the record straight.  Is there a BIOS mod available for the current  HP SP64420.exe BIOS update?

Is there a PCIe eSATA card that supports port multiplier AND includes drivers for Windows Server 2012r2?  I cannot find one.  I have only been looking at JBOD cards.

• 3 weeks later...

I too seek a modified version of the N54L bios dated beyond the 2012r2 update.

anyone out there seen one?

nrf

Edited by nrf

As for the controller card, it should install the drivers, and not necessarily to a program folder.

However, if you do, the card is an ASMedia Chipset (Covecube endorsed), and it should install to "ASM106xSATA" or similar in the Program Files directory. 

Check the device manager on the system, and see what you ahve listed under the "Storage Controllers". You should see an "Asmedia 106x SATA controller" listed there (instead of a generic Microsoft AHCI controller).

This chipset is DEFINITELY supported on 2012R2. My SuperMicro board has the chipset integrated onboard, and I have a test server with that chipset as well. Both work, and both support port multiplication.

If you need, I can email you a copy of the drivers from my system.

My advice, if your goal is eSATA with Port Multiply, is to use the StarTech PCIe card I describe above.  Since my post, I've learned that the Windows 7 64-bit driver for the card works perfectly well with Windows Server 2012r2 and supports port multiply.

The problem I encountered was the installation wizard.  This does not work.  However, the Device Manager driver update procedure and a browse to the driver's Windows 7 folder works.  Take care to update the driver for the card and not a built-in controller.  (Guess who made that mistake.  Startech tech support suggests that the hardware can be determined indirectly by the hardware ID information using a Google search.  if you are uncertain, vary any SATA connected hardware off-line before you mess with the device driver.)

Windows 2012r2 (and Windows 8.1) now includes a driver for eSATA controllers which installs automatically.  This driver does not support port multiply and apparently its presence interrupts the StarTech driver install wizard.  The StarTech driver does support port multiply.

If you have an available PCIe slot this is the way to go to get eSATA port multiply with Windows Server 2012r2.

Edited by erlewis

Yup, definitely.

The generic AHCI driver doesn't support port multiplication. But it DOES work out of box.

I'm glad that you got it all sorted out and working. And yes, this chipset is a fantastic one. Is why we (Covecube, aka StableBit) highly recommend it.

Wait a sec; that card uses a Marvell - 88SE9128; PLX - PEX8604 chipset.

erlewis, that card seems to have only 1 eSATA port. Is that true of the card you got? Is only 1 eSATA port enough for you?

Wait a sec; that card uses a Marvell - 88SE9128; PLX - PEX8604 chipset.

erlewis, that card seems to have only 1 eSATA port. Is that true of the card you got? Is only 1 eSATA port enough for you?

If that's the case, they're using multiple chipsets for the same model. :(

Which wouldn't be a surprise.

But the Marvell chipset is very good as well. (especially if you don't have a custom HighPoint version :P)

Check the model.   My card has a total of four physical SATA ports.  Two internal, and two external.  Jumpers determine internal or external.  I believe, but have not actually tested, port multiply on both external ports is functional because I had to leave for a two month vacation in Cabo San Lucas.  I know, not much an excuse.   but I know how this shows up in the Device Manager.

If your card has only one eSATA port then ... well, apples and oranges is all I can say.

Check the model.   My card has a total of four physical SATA ports.  Two internal, and two external.  Jumpers determine internal or external.  I believe, but have not actually tested, port multiply on both external ports is functional because I had to leave for a two month vacation in Cabo San Lucas.  I know, not much an excuse.   but I know how this shows up in the Device Manager.

If your card has only one eSATA port then ... well, apples and oranges is all I can say.

Yup, that's the one I saw. :)

Which is this card:

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/2-Port-PCI-Express-SATA-6-Gbps-eSATA-Controller-Card~PEXESAT322I

Or this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-PEXESAT322I-Express-eSATA-Controller/dp/B00952N2DQ

I got my card from Newegg when it was first introduced.  It is the same model as either the StarTech or Amazon links above.