kylejwx

4k dell monitor for $300

alexreynol

Anybody notice the 30hz refresh rate?

ikon

Anybody notice the 30hz refresh rate?

No, I didn't. Hmmmmmm.....

oj88

Probably fine for general productivity or watching a 4K movie. Not great for high-FPS games unless you scale down to 1080 (60Hz).

ikon

I wonder if that would have any effect on photo or video editing say, for example, during long sessions at the keyboard, or when reviewing video.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

ikon, I do not know but have always heard that. I talked to a tech at the site, after seeing the question, and he also said IPS is LCD only. I am no expert so I can't comment.

ikon

ikon, I do not know but have always heard that. I talked to a tech at the site, after seeing the question, and he also said IPS is LCD only. I am no expert so I can't comment.

Yes, IPS is LCD, but so is LED. LEDs are not used to make up the pixels in an LED monitor (at least not yet, and not for a long time at this price). The LEDs are used to provide the backlighting in LCD monitors; they replace the thin fluorescent tubes that are still used in cheaper, non-LED monitors. IOW, LED monitors are just regular LCD monitors with a different backlight source.

The other major factor with LCD monitors is the method a image frame switching: TFT, TN, or IPS. IPS is superior because it does the switching in the same plane as the image. Naturally, it also costs more to make ;)

True LED displays, ones where the LEDs are the actual pixels of the image, do exist. They're used in some of the really large displays, like for malls, stadiums, and the like.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I just figured there was some problem with the combination of IPS and LED. But like I said, I am not an expert and the tech I talked to probably isn't either.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

ikon

There is no issue combining LED backlighting with In-Plane Switching that I know of. Of course, at some future date, when we have direct LED monitors, or some other self-illuminating pixel tech, we shouldn't need switching at all, so IPS will be moot.

oj88

^ There's OLED displays that has been around for years. These are essentially direct-LED displays. But the technology is still relatively immature, expensive, and subject to some form of pixel burn-in impediment like older plasma displays, among other issues.

Although, these have one of the most brilliant color reproduction and contrast ratio I've seen from a display.

ikon

True, but can you imagine what a 28" OLED monitor would cost :o :o

What's the largest OLED monitor (as opposed to an OLED TV), around 6", in a phone. I think Sony had an 11" prototype monitor at CES a few years, but it cost many thousands of $