RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
doomed

HP microserver G8, a few questions

doomed

Hello everyone,

I know we have a lot of people with the Microserver gen8 around here. I'm thinking of buying one and I've been reading some of the threads for the past week or so and also a few articles like this and this and I've got a few questions I would like to clarify with owners of this machine and experts on the matter.

1) Is there any limit on the Hard drive size i can use? 3 TB, 4 TB, 5 TB ?

2) Is the memory limit 16 GB (2x8) or 32 GB (2x16)?

3) Can we boot from a SDD connected on the ODD sata port?

4) I've gathered the iLO4 it comes with is the "Standard free version" and both Essentials and Advanced cost money which is out of my budget. What can i expect to do with the "Standard version" on the latest iLO 4? Can i have remote screen and keyboard/mouse input?

I had a look at these two files - PDF1 and PDF2 - and my assumption is that access will be very limited to monitoring health status on the web gui and a few seconds of remote screen before OS booting but would like to confirm with you guys anyway, just in case an update on iLO has changed anything or if there are alternative (non-HP) ways of doing what i want.

5) In case i go with Windows 7 for this little server... I would love to use the opportunity to play games with it, via STEAM home streaming. But I would need a graphics card with hdmi output. Doesnt need to be anything fancy. All i would need is to make sound and HD video reach the TV. Any recommendations for a graphics card that fits in the PCI Express slot?

Edit: Better spelling and a 5th question.

Edited by doomed

schoondoggy

1. There is no limit that I am aware of. I have run 3TB and 4TB. I think someone else on the forum has run 5TB.

2. I have not seen anyone get 32GB working. Because there are only two memory slots you would need 16GB ECC unbuffered memory modules and they are hard to find.

3. Yes if you are using the B120i or the work around listed in the forum.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-5

4. Per the quickspecs it comes with standard. To get full KVM you need Essentials or Advanced. Many have bought Advanced licenes keys off eBay for under $50. It is a risk but I have not heard of anyone having an issue.

5. There are several low power cards that have been used in the MS Gen8:

HellDiverUK

5TB works just fine, I've tested 5TB WD Red and 5TB Toshiba enterprise drives.

Booting from SSD on the ODD port works fine, too - I've tested it with a 120GB Intel 510 and a 480GB Sandisk UltraII.

Royco

(Brilliant! A picture of your desktop, as desktop picture. Made me chuckle.)

(Oh, now I see it's a video.)

(Sorry for my spam)

Edited by Royco

ikon

yeah, one of Joe_Miner's instructional videos :)

doomed

1. There is no limit that I am aware of. I have run 3TB and 4TB. I think someone else on the forum has run 5TB.

2. I have not seen anyone get 32GB working. Because there are only two memory slots you would need 16GB ECC unbuffered memory modules and they are hard to find.

3. Yes if you are using the B120i or the work around listed in the forum.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-5

4. Per the quickspecs it comes with standard. To get full KVM you need Essentials or Advanced. Many have bought Advanced licenes keys off eBay for under $50. It is a risk but I have not heard of anyone having an issue.

5. There are several low power cards that have been used in the MS Gen8:

About the graphic card

There wont be any issues with sound, right?

I mean, i can expect good sound output on the hdmi port?

In this scenario, assume I would be running Windows 7.

Edited by doomed

schoondoggy

About the graphic card

There wont be any issues with sound, right?

I mean, i can expect good sound output on the hdmi port?

In this scenario, assume I would be running Windows 7.

From the video it sounds like audio worked. 

Joe_Miner

Check the notes that went in the description with the video.  I was running Win8.1 and got sound via the HDMI in the monitor speakers.  In the notes are links to tests that PSIKey did on several monitors -- well work reading his stuff.

doomed

Hey guys

I've got most of the hardware now:

1. server box (Celeron G1610T)
  2. it comes with no raid controller afaik
  3. 2x 8 GB ECC RAM
  4. 4x 4TB WD Red.

I haven't toyed with it or install anything yet.

Purpose of the server is:

• To run as server (in other words, no one is going to be sitting to work on this for their day-to-day activities)
  • Storage for movies and all personal/family media.
  • Plex Media Server (not concerned with transcoding)
  • Backup destination for 3 computers (Windows 7 builtin Backup)
  • Optional (extra): connect the server to the big TV (via hdmi) and stream games (with Steam Home streaming) from my gaming machine which sits far in a different room.

I havent decided which OS to use and I'm looking for suggestions.

The only licensing i own at the moment is for Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows Server 2008 Std R2.

Any disadvantages in going forward with any of the two operating systems ? Any special cautions? Would NTFS be ok for the big drives?

I'm looking for ideal solutions.

I'm willing to use Drive Pool, Drive Bend or Snapraid, whatever you guys think is best.

Out of the four "4 TB Red" drives i'm willing to sacrifice only one for redundancy.

The alternative to all of this would be FreeNAS with ZFS1. It's very good on all aspects, but since wanting the Steam streaming, I've put this idea away.

doomed

Btw, my idea is to use a 2.5" HDD or SSD on the ODD sata port and boot from there. I've checked the thread that explains this. Seems complex but doable. Thanks schoondoggy for posting the link.