RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DirecTV Question

awraynor

Good evening everyone,

I have a semi-complicated question that I would like to hear some opinions on. My wife would like for me to move the 50" DLP out of the living room and replace it with a flat panel over the fireplace. The problem is that I have DirecTV and assume I have to keep the HD-DVR box nearby for TV viewing. I would also like to be able to navigate to my WHS to stream content.

I had though about using a nettop for the streaming/WHS part, but keeping the converter box is problematic. I have a copy of Tivo Liquid TV as I have been told you can use it on the nettop in conjunction with a DirecTV box. My house has ethernet so connection speed won't be a problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if clarification is needed please let me know.

You can have your HR20,21,22,23 where ever you like. A HDMI or component extender/baum, over cat5E or cat6, will take care of any cable length issues. The same can be used for any extender or HTPC.

One connection, from the receiver/preamp, to the TV is the simplest. Connect all TV input devices to the receiver/preamp.

Thanks for the advice. I am still researching and debating how to do it where it will be both cosmetically and functionally desirable.

Don't forget about IR receiver/transmitter if you are going to move the DVR somewhere not in line-of-sight.

"Don't forget about IR receiver/transmitter if you are going to move the DVR somewhere not in line-of-sight".

Good point. Fortunately, the DirecTV HD DVR's and remotes are RF capable.