RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
riahc3

Most stable modded BIOS for N54L?

riahc3

My N54L came repaired today and I have to reflash the BIOS.

Just in case, I want a stable BIOS that works with ESXi 5.5 with RDM and enabling full speed on that other internal SATA port. Im not intrested in nothing else.

Which do you recommend? And what is a good guide to follow?

Thank you

ikon

Is there even a configuration that works with 5.5? From what I've read on these forums, most people who tried 5.5 have had trouble and went back to 5.1.

Out of curiosity, have you had 5.5 working on your N54L?

riahc3

Is there even a configuration that works with 5.5? From what I've read on these forums, most people who tried 5.5 have had trouble and went back to 5.1.

Out of curiosity, have you had 5.5 working on your N54L?

ESXi boots and I am able to use pfSense as a router and I also installed/booted WS2012R2.

The only reason I sent my N54L for repair was that I RDM a drive and it worked but in a few days it would disappear. I sent it to HP, HP confirmed that my motherboard had a problem, and they replaced the motherboard.

I had ESXi installed on a internal USB flashdrive and the datastore was on a spare 320GB drive I had around. I replugged everything into the new motherboard I recieved and everything booted up. No problems at all.

Before you answer the the question about the modded BIOS (please), I wanted to know:

1: What issues/problems/bugs/etc are people having with 5.5 that has made them go down to 5.1? I know the entire editing thing once you go to a version of virtual above 8 (I think) but besides that?

2: Once ESXi 5.5 is installed, is it difficult to downgrade?

Thank you for solving all my questions

ikon

I haven't run ESXi myself, so I can't answer #2. I was simply reporting what I've read.

You'll have to search the forums for answers to #1. I recommend you use Bing or google to do the search. Include the parameter site:homeservershow.com in your search criteria (the search function included with the Board software is pretty bad).

As far as the modded BIOS goes, I've only used 1 (the one recommended by Joe_Miner). My understanding is that there are no actual changes to the code - all that was done was to exposed features of the BIOS that had been hidden by HP. From that perspective, it should be pretty safe to use.

riahc3

As far as the modded BIOS goes, I've only used 1 (the one recommended by Joe_Miner). My understanding is that there are no actual changes to the code - all that was done was to exposed features of the BIOS that had been hidden by HP. From that perspective, it should be pretty safe to use.

Where can I find it?

What do you run on the N54L? Hyper-V? I was thinking that if ESXi gave me more problems with RDM, I might change to Hyper-V, as long as it is compatible with pfSense and it has a RDM-like function...

ikon

The one MicroServer I've run is an N40L I set up for a business. I did use the modded BIOS on it, mostly to get higher speed out of the SATA ports.

I think this blog post will help a lot: http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-build-and-bios-modification-revisited.html. Pretty much everything that applies to the N40L also works on the N54L.

Joe_Miner

You should be able to find links in:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/

and

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/

for the different BIOS and BIOS-Mods as well as some info on ESXi on N40L's and N54L's

another way would be a Google or BING search such as "ESXi MicroServer HomeServerShow" and that will give you a LOT of hits on threads

riahc3

another way would be a Google or BING search such as "ESXi MicroServer HomeServerShow" and that will give you a LOT of hits on threads

That pops up a lot of information about the Gen8

riahc3

Installing it is pretty much clear (let's see if the utility can still be downloaded)

The issue is which is the latest version available.