RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Royco

Time to start B120i FAQ?

vbezhenar
On 8/7/2017 at 11:17 AM, Calby said:

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest? Also iLO?

I have my fans at 13% and then I have no 2 in the cooling options.

Yes, I updated everything with latest SPP, latest BIOS and iLO are installed. I prefer server to be as silent as possible, it works in my house and with AHCI I still can hear it at night.

vbezhenar

I'm using B120i and I want to issue some commands to HDD (smartctl, also I want to update firmware if necessary). Currently this stuff doesn't work, because HDD is behind raid. My raid is a single drive in RAID-0. What would be the safest way to do that? I'm planning to boot with Linux LiveCD. Should I switch to AHCI mode in BIOS? I afraid that it would cause data loss, because I'm not sure where raid information is stored. I think that without HP driver, disk will be visible even in Raid mode, but is it safe to use it this way? I won't mount disk partitions, all I need is to access to drive itself.

schoondoggy

I'm using B120i and I want to issue some commands to HDD (smartctl, also I want to update firmware if necessary). Currently this stuff doesn't work, because HDD is behind raid. My raid is a single drive in RAID-0. What would be the safest way to do that? I'm planning to boot with Linux LiveCD. Should I switch to AHCI mode in BIOS? I afraid that it would cause data loss, because I'm not sure where raid information is stored. I think that without HP driver, disk will be visible even in Raid mode, but is it safe to use it this way? I won't mount disk partitions, all I need is to access to drive itself.

Try booting to Linux LiveCD and see if you can see the drives without changing  settings in the BIOS. Some flavors of Linux ignore the B120i firmware and talk directly to the SATA controller. Be sure to have a clean backup in case there is an issue.

cpu

I've got baremetal DSM up and running on my HP gen8. I'm using AHCI right now but recently tried to get lower fan speed with hp-ams - I'm missing HD Max reading on my iLO so to get that I need to swap to RAID. My question is - will I lose any data just from changing from AHCI to RAID in BIOS? As far as I know it's fake raid and until I'll create an array in Smart Array HDD should be visible as regular hard drive to my system? Can't make backup as I don't have extra storage for over 4 TB of data.

schoondoggy
I've got baremetal DSM up and running on my HP gen8. I'm using AHCI right now but recently tried to get lower fan speed with hp-ams - I'm missing HD Max reading on my iLO so to get that I need to swap to RAID. My question is - will I lose any data just from changing from AHCI to RAID in BIOS? As far as I know it's fake raid and until I'll create an array in Smart Array HDD should be visible as regular hard drive to my system? Can't make backup as I don't have extra storage for over 4 TB of data.
When you switch to the B120i you will need to set up each of your drives as a single drive RAID0. This process 'should' not disrupt your data, but I would not try it without a clean backup.
Unfortunately, as far as I know there are no supported drivers for the B120i in Xpenology, unless something has come out recently.

Crosfield

Hi guys! Do I understand correctly this RAID controller recognizes 8Tb disks as well? I am considering purchasing a Seagate IronWolf [ST8000VN0022] or WD Red [WD80EFAX]. Will they be recognized by the controller? Which ones are better to buy?