RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Royco

Time to start B120i FAQ?

ds23man

Hello, this is my first post.

Observed some strange behavior. My first setup was a ssd in slot 1 and two HDD's in 3 and 4. Smart raid was disabled. Moved the sdd to port 5, made it raid 5 in smart raid and did not configure the HDD's.

Works fine, but.....

In setup one the screen resolution is always 1280-1024, in the second setup 1280-1024 with a monitor connected and 640-480 when not.

In the low res mode the scaling is wrong in remote console and useless with Ubuntu.

Strange....

TvL2386

Hi guys,

I've just purchased the HP MicroServer Gen8, added a SSD to the ODD port and configured it in a RAID0 array in the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Raid Controller.

I've added two additional HDD's as well and left them unconfigured.

Then I've installed ubuntu-16.04 on the SSD.

When I reboot the system after it has been running for some time, I see the following during booting:

HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Raid Controller
1785-drive array not configured
Run array configuration

I have no idea why the controller forgot my array. Maybe I require a license or something?
Anyway: If I recreate the RAID0 array my system boots fine again.

If I reboot the server from the OS after I have recreated the array immediately, it boots fine and the controller posts that it has 1 logical volume.

Does anybody know what the problem could be?

TvL2386

Ok... I think this behaviour occurs if grub-update has been ran. Maybe some magic bit on the SSD is overwritten causing the B120i to not recognize the disk?

Should I access the disk through some special device instead of /dev/sdc?

ZPapp

Hi!

I replaced my n54l to gen8 microserver, and i want to replace winserver 2012r2 to linux based distribution. The poor disk read performance on b120i is general or individual problem under linux.

Thanks!

newtorus

Hi guys,

I've just purchased the HP MicroServer Gen8, added a SSD to the ODD port and configured it in a RAID0 array in the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Raid Controller.

I've added two additional HDD's as well and left them unconfigured.

Then I've installed ubuntu-16.04 on the SSD.

When I reboot the system after it has been running for some time, I see the following during booting:

HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Raid Controller
1785-drive array not configured
Run array configuration

I have no idea why the controller forgot my array. Maybe I require a license or something?
Anyway: If I recreate the RAID0 array my system boots fine again.

If I reboot the server from the OS after I have recreated the array immediately, it boots fine and the controller posts that it has 1 logical volume.

It's the same what I got after SSDNow KC400 256GB had installed. It happens once a day regularly without any damages to the data. Circle power always makes MS boot successfully. I tried on and off cache on SSD, it doesn't help. In my opinion, problem in the specific model of SSD. What SSD model do you use?

My OP is WindowsServer 2016

Edited by newtorus

drubaduro
On 30.10.2016 at 0:40 PM, TvL2386 said:

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem, but in my case it seems like the RAID settings are resetted after hardware power-off, not after rebooting. My SSD is Silicon Power 60Gb SP060GBSS3S60S25.

And i don't know how to fix it.

TvL2386

I fixed it for my server (ubuntu-16.04 on an SSD connected to the internal ODD SATA Port):

In the bios go to: 

System Options => SATA Controller Options => Embedded SATA Configuration:

embedded-sata-configuration.png.087bdeffbc12ef9028376a15681e4bdf.png

Next in the bios go to "Boot Controller Order" and make sure that:boot-controller-order.PNG.9a246a3676689d6ead7ef4322a6e1ecf.PNG

I see the following output for the SATA stuff:

disks.PNG.c198b8c246927d224a4f4382794a37b3.PNG

And the server boots fine nowadays. Reboot, cold boot, kernel updates... Everything works!

Not sure if interesting, but I formatted my root partition as ext4 which seems to be /dev/sde2:

fdisk.PNG.22ef1635a21fceee61ef7170224b6731.PNG

• Like 1

vbezhenar

Hello. Is there some software way to achieve silent fans without B120i raid? I tried AHCI setup and RAID setup, RAID is much more quiet (6% Fan vs 20% Fan), but I would like to use AHCI and Linux raid solutions instead.

Calby
On 8/4/2017 at 4:29 PM, vbezhenar said:

Hello. Is there some software way to achieve silent fans without B120i raid? I tried AHCI setup and RAID setup, RAID is much more quiet (6% Fan vs 20% Fan), but I would like to use AHCI and Linux raid solutions instead.

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest? Also iLO?

I have my fans at 13% and then I have no 2 in the cooling options.