RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Royco

Time to start B120i FAQ?

tiger

As you're doing passthrough and want to do software RAID, you should set the B120i controller to AHCI mode. The B120i controller driver for Linux/ESXi has significant performance issues and requires downgrading to 5.5.0-OEM88 to work properly. Running it in AHCI mode bypasses those issues since you don't want it doing RAID anyway.

Yes. Read about that. I'd thought they've already fixed that performance issue by now.

A fast USB 2.0 flash drive inside is probably your best option but it isn't a very nice option. You may need to fiddle with the device claim rules since it is removable.

If your SD card is big enough then you might be able to use the space at the end of that as well but it will require manual configuration since ESXi won't use that space by default.

I've thought about both of these options, but initial tests showed that ESX won't allow datastore to reside on either of these.

How do I 'fiddle' exactly? I would appreciate any pointers.

Anyway to use the USB3.0 by any chance?

BTW, what actually lives in the datastore? Just metadata or actual VM images?

Edited by tiger

GotNoTime

Yes. Read about that. I'd thought they've already fixed that performance issue by now.

It is still broken AFAIK.

I've thought about both of these options, but initial tests showed that ESX won't allow datastore to reside on either of these.

You used to be able to do it via manually creating the partition at the end of the SD card and then formatting it as VMFS. I've no idea about recent versions of ESXi though as I've not tried.

It isn't recommended to do as it is not supported by VMware and performance will most likely awful. I/O queue will be tiny as well.

How do I 'fiddle' exactly? I would appreciate any pointers.

Read this thread. Same again about not recommended + performance issues.

Anyway to use the USB3.0 by any chance?

One of the ESXi 5.5 updates added xhci support to allow you to do USB passthrough so the kernel must have support. I've never tried but I assume it is similiar to the method for USB 2.

BTW, what actually lives in the datastore? Just metadata or actual VM images?

The VMs do. The disk images, the configuration, swap files, snapshots etc...

ArnisR

It is still broken AFAIK.

Yep. I opened the case recently and receive answer from HP to use old driver for the time being.

I'm hoping they'll fix it sometime.

sal

BTW Why are you so adamant not to use RDM, will make your life easier?

tiger

BTW Why are you so adamant not to use RDM, will make your life easier?

S.M.A.R.T. and other energy management features

Mane

Do B120i is standard on all configurations?

schoondoggy

Do B120i is standard on all configurations?

All Gen8 MicroServers come with the B120i. You can turn it off and use AHCI if you prefer.

Niksr

FYI, if SSD in the ODD, lack spin down of HDD in RAID is not only issue. Even though SSD (SanDisk SD-120G) is recognized as SSD, TRIM doesn't work. It's for sure. I cheeked it twice and had to reinstall OS.

However, with SSD in AHCI  (and consequently booting from SD) cause another problem. TRIM now works but OS (Server 2012R2) has been installed in Windows2GO mode (that can be changed via registry, though) and Windows Backup cause generating errors with SD disk, stops disk management to work and prevent normal rebooting. Probably, WSB is not only software that leads to problem with SD.

jonty

Hi guys, looking for a little help.  I have Gen8 microserver with a 250GB SSD on the ODD and four WD Green 500GB drives in bays 1 to 4.  Using the SSA I created a single disk raid0 with the SSD and a raid 10 array with the four 500GB drives.  I then loaded Win 8.1 Pro onto the SSD and everything went fine!  However, File Manager showed only the 250GB SSD as disc C.  Disk Manager showed a Disk 0, the SSD and a Disk 1,  a 9xxGB disk with two partitions  each roughly half the overall size, with one a primary and the other not allocated.  I am puzzled as to why disk manager showed two partitions.  However, I converted it to a single partition and formatted it but it still did not appear in file  manager.  I went back into disk manager and gave it a drive letter and now it shows up as drive D.  My questions are, how do I know that I actually have a raid 10 and how does the raid controller interface with Win 8.1.  If for instance a disk fails in the raid will it be reported by Windows?  I am very much in the dark about how the B120i communicates, if at all, with or through Windows.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

schoondoggy

Hi guys, looking for a little help.  I have Gen8 microserver with a 250GB SSD on the ODD and four WD Green 500GB drives in bays 1 to 4.  Using the SSA I created a single disk raid0 with the SSD and a raid 10 array with the four 500GB drives.  I then loaded Win 8.1 Pro onto the SSD and everything went fine!  However, File Manager showed only the 250GB SSD as disc C.  Disk Manager showed a Disk 0, the SSD and a Disk 1,  a 9xxGB disk with two partitions  each roughly half the overall size, with one a primary and the other not allocated.  I am puzzled as to why disk manager showed two partitions.  However, I converted it to a single partition and formatted it but it still did not appear in file  manager.  I went back into disk manager and gave it a drive letter and now it shows up as drive D.  My questions are, how do I know that I actually have a raid 10 and how does the raid controller interface with Win 8.1.  If for instance a disk fails in the raid will it be reported by Windows?  I am very much in the dark about how the B120i communicates, if at all, with or through Windows.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you installed SSA in Windows? That will allow you to see the RAID sets. Good question on how does the B120i pass failed disk info to the OS. Basically, it does not. The first path is for the B120i to pass failure data to iLo. There is a driver that passes event data from HP RAID controls to Windows Server event manager. I do not know if it works on the B120 or with Windows 8. Here is a link for the event notification driver:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5194889&swItemId=MTX_2b6b91b253f3439482f8dc5b07&swEnvOid=4024