RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time to start B120i FAQ?

Royco

I'm currently using my Gen8 for a NAS. I have a Fujitsu 9211-8i (LSI SAS2008) HBA card flashed into IT mode so I can use it with ZFS on FreeNAS. I have 4 drives + an extra SSD for booting, which is plugged into ODD port.

It all works great, but now I'm thinking about removing that card an go back to b120i in AHCI mode.

Would that be wise? Should I expect a performance degradation on doing that? Is the b120i in AHCI that bad?

Edited by kriansa
added info about my drives

1 hour ago, kriansa said:

I'm currently using my Gen8 for a NAS. I have a Fujitsu 9211-8i (LSI SAS2008) HBA card flashed into IT mode so I can use it with ZFS on FreeNAS. I have 4 drives + an extra SSD for booting, which is plugged into ODD port.

It all works great, but now I'm thinking about removing that card an go back to b120i in AHCI mode.

Would that be wise? Should I expect a performance degradation on doing that? Is the b120i in AHCI that bad?

I am using Microserver Gen8 (16GB, Xeon 1265L) with XigmaNAS (former Nas4Free, the predecessor of FreeNAS), b120i in AHCI mode, ZFS, 2x4TB WD RED in mirror mode. Never noticed any problems since start of operation in 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, new member here.

Thanks so much for this amazing forum! I've read and learnt a lot about my Gen8

Im running a Gen8 in RAID mode B120i

(All 5 drives set to individual RAID0 and booting an SSD from the ODD port)

1x Samsung 850 Evo SSD

4x WD Red NAS 3TB WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Windows Server 2019 is installed and running nicely.

Storage spaces set up with parity and it seems fine, but the write performance could be better.

BIOS J06 04042019

B120i

Dynamic smart array 1.07

RAID Controller - 3.54.0

Windows Driver - 62.16.0.64

Are there any updates I can apply? I've read the entire internet and cant find any newer versions.

thanks for any tips

Darren

Melbourne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/7/2020 at 3:14 AM, E3000 said:

What did you do to fix it?

I wrote an entire setup guide on it here. You can't really "fix" a storage space pool if you used the windows GUI, you must recreate it via Powershell to get access to the advanced configuraiton around interleave sizing.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 6:09 PM, schoondoggy said:

Some flavors of Linux ignore the B120i firmware and talk directly to the SATA controller. Be sure to have a clean backup in case there is an issue.

It seems in the meantime this has become a standard linux behaviour. I had to put my controller into RAID mode because of terrible performance in AHCI mode (more on that here) and all the drives are normally accessible without putting them into RAID 0 mode. SMART readings work as well. Tried Debian Buster and current ArchLinux. Disks are recognized without issues