RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD or SSD for Server OS/working drive?

HellDiverUK

Can anyone recommend a good, economical SSD for running a min of 2 VMs? The VMs are relatively low disk I/O. One hosts Sabnzb and writes to a network share and the other hosts Plex Media Server.

Anything would do for that - I host my NZBGet/NZBDrone/Plex Server on the Intel SSD Pro 1500 in my server, and it's overkill.  The fast access time speeds up Plex browsing, but otherwise a 5400rpm laptop drive is more than enough for the NZBGet/NZBDrone sort of stuff.  I was using a 500GB WD Blue laptop drive before, and it ran fine.

OK. Then maybe I'll just stick with the dedicated 1 TB 7,200 RPM drive that's there. I've actually split into 2 VMs - one for Plex Media Server and another for Sabnzbd.

Anything would do for that - I host my NZBGet/NZBDrone/Plex Server on the Intel SSD Pro 1500 in my server, and it's overkill.  The fast access time speeds up Plex browsing, but otherwise a 5400rpm laptop drive is more than enough for the NZBGet/NZBDrone sort of stuff.  I was using a 500GB WD Blue laptop drive before, and it ran fine.

Samsung 840's.  Not necessarily the Pro Version.  I have three x 240 gig in a RAID0 and those VM's scream.