RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD or SSD for Server OS/working drive?

HellDiverUK

"Wear and tear" on a modern SSD is a myth.  TechReport have some consumer drives that have done over 2PB of writes and are still going.  

The controllers in SSD's have helped deal with the w/e cycle issues with flash. In normal PC use you should see SSD life to be similar to HD life.

It would be interesting to see TechReport do the test again with SSD using triple layer flash, which is even more unreliable.

It would be interesting to see TechReport do the test again with SSD using triple layer flash, which is even more unreliable.

Yeah, TLC makes me nervous.  

Got the server up and running last night.

I have the DC S3500 120GB as the OS drive, I have the SSD Pro 1500 180GB as the working drive.  A quick run with AS SSD sow the DC S3500 to be much, much faster access time, but marginally slower than the Pro 1500.

I'll post numbers later when I get home.

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend a good, economical SSD for running a min of 2 VMs? The VMs are relatively low disk I/O. One hosts Sabnzb and writes to a network share and the other hosts Plex Media Server.

I would look for a high IOPS

I've had good luck with Intel, Crucial M4's, Corsair (F3, GT, GS, GTX), and Samsung Pro.  I've only had one failure which was an old 60GB Corsair F3 that was promptly replaced.  The Corsair GTX and Samsung Pro (both high IOPS) is all I've purchased in the last few cycles.

I'd look at what Schoondoggy gets -- and I would consider any brand that he was interested in.

Prices were VERY good even on the premium name SSD's on Black Friday/Cyber Monday -- should be a repeat soon in the next couple of weeks I think.

What capacity/size do you want? 120GB have been running around $60. JM is spot on, look for high IOP's. Watch the Deal forum, I post a lot of SSD deals.