RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD or SSD for Server OS/working drive?

HellDiverUK

Just wonder who uses a SSD for their server's OS drive?

I'm about to rebuild my server, and I've two choices:

1- C: on an Intel 120GB SSD & D: Working/Plex store on an Intel 180GB SSD

2- C: & D: on a WD RE4 500GB.

I'll be running Server 2012R2, pretty light install as it'll only be doing file serving and running Plex, Sonarr and NZBGet.

Obviously the two SSD solution will be much faster, but as I only reboot the server for Windows Updates once every few months, I'm thinking a SSD is a bit of a waste.  Plex stores a LOT of stuff on the server, thumbnails etc, and it does run much better when that store is on a SSD - browsing Plex on the PC is instant when the server is running a SSD, on HDD there's maybe half a second delay.

Everything is well backed up, and due to the light configuration I can have things up and running within a few hours from scratch, so any enhanced reliability from a SSD isn't a massive concern.

I can't help thinking I'm 'wasting' two perfectly good SSD drives, when the 500GB RE4 that came in the server would do the job perfectly well.

It really comes down to your satisfaction level. If you don't find a small delay really annoying, then the RE4 should do perfectly fine. There is no doubt though, SSDs would be faster. A lot of people put in an SSD for the boot drive and spinners for data, or a couple of SSDs if they want to run some VMs and then spinners for data.

Yeah, my data is on a pair of 5TB Toshiba drives running Stablebit.  They're staying as-is.

I do plan on doing some VM stuff in the future, using VMWare Workstation 11, so perhaps the SSDs would be a better idea.  Though, for the little use they'll be getting, HDD would probably be fine.

I put my server OS on a SSD and my VM's on another SSD.  All of my data is stored on WD Red drives which I have about 8TB of data (including media and backups).  Love the speed a SSD gives to my VM's.

Small SSD's are so cheap now its worth it. 

• Like 1

After installing a server OS on an SSD are there any settings that need to be applied within the OS to reduce wear and tear?

Also, I currently don't run my VMs on a SSD but may now consider. If I can find a good deal on something 250 GB or larger.

I put my server OS on a SSD and my VM's on another SSD.  All of my data is stored on WD Red drives which I have about 8TB of data (including media and backups).  Love the speed a SSD gives to my VM's.

Small SSD's are so cheap now its worth it. 

This is exactly what I've read from several members.

After installing a server OS on an SSD are there any settings that need to be applied within the OS to reduce wear and tear?

"Wear and tear" on a modern SSD is a myth.  TechReport have some consumer drives that have done over 2PB of writes and are still going.  

I go SSD for all my OS drives if I can.  The few builds I have done lately without SSD's I have gone with VelociRaptors -- more recently 2 VelociRaptors in RAID0.

For VM's I now go with at least a SSD or multiple VR's (or SSD's) in RAID0.  Even regular 7200 RPM drives in RAID0 are really nice for VM's.

My very first VM drive was a WD Green which got painful with more than a couple VM's but it was doable and I did learn a lot -- so don't let availability of "certain" drive types slow you down -- with only 1 or 2 VM's you can use just about anything for a VM drive.