RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with Anywhere Access and VPN not working

I can confirm that I can get to your landing (logon) page.  Make sure you have good server backups and especially leave the RWA piece alone.  It's working and stay away from OpenDNS.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rhbkweb

• ikon

• jmwills

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

rhbkweb, what jmwills and Poppapete are saying when they say "From my experience most routers won't let you out on a client and back into the server on the same LAN" is that you very likely will not be able to use a computer on your LAN to connect to you xxxxxx.remotewebaccess.com site.

The problem with trying this is that the computer has to start off inside your LAN, then it has to go out through your router onto the Internet, then it has to come back to your router and try to get back inside your LAN. Usually this doesn't work. I have configured my Untangle router so it does work for me, but most routers won't let you do it.

So, from inside your LAN, you can get to the RWA web page by browsing to your server directly, like https://myserver. From outside your LAN, you get to the page by browsing to https://xxxxx.remotewebaccess.com. They should both lead you to the same page.

If you are interested, the feature to look out for in the router specs is called Nat Reflection or sometimes Nat loopback. It requires the routers interfaces to be able to perform packet address rewriting before the packets have traversed the router itself and found themselves out on the Internet with no idea of how to get back. And yes most domestic or small business-grade routers can't do this.

If you want to then you can sometimes fool the system to some extent by adding an entry to the hosts file if it's just a couple of machines or on a domain you could create a suitable zone in DNS and populate it accordingly. Be careful though, messing about with DNS entries can introduce a whole new bag of hurt into an already dicey situation.

If you are interested, the feature to look out for in the router specs is called Nat Reflection or sometimes Nat loopback. It requires the routers interfaces to be able to perform packet address rewriting before the packets have traversed the router itself and found themselves out on the Internet with no idea of how to get back. And yes most domestic or small business-grade routers can't do this.

If you want to then you can sometimes fool the system to some extent by adding an entry to the hosts file if it's just a couple of machines or on a domain you could create a suitable zone in DNS and populate it accordingly. Be careful though, messing about with DNS entries can introduce a whole new bag of hurt into an already dicey situation.

I didn't find anything like that in my Untangle, but I did manage to configure it so it does work. I don't even remember exactly what I did but, yeah. It would be nice to have something as explicit as Nat Reflection available.

Hi,

Can someone tell me the steps i need to make in order to test if my router supports the feature that you guys are talking about?

If you tell me the exact steps i will reproduce on my end and post here the results. 

Just as an information my router is a TP-Link TL-ER5120 and you can see the specs here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=227&model=TL-ER5120

Thanks

I think it's highly unlikely that a router like that will have that feature but, more importantly, why does it matter? As long as the RWA works, isn't that what you want?