RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Predictive failure

sutt359

Hi everyone

Ive just setup the server and over the weekend i noticed it was flashing yellow and not blue anymore.

So checked the ilo and its saying Logical Drive 01 Physical drive in port 5 which is the ODD is degraded. This is my SSD boot drive.

Is this normal for an SSD to do this?

Kev

What SSD is it?

A lot of SSD drives give strange SMART readings, like out of range temperatures.  One of my SSDs reports it's temp as -127C, another is permenantly at 27C, and another sits at 0C.  Only the Intel SSDs seem to give accurate temp readings.

So, yes, some 2.5" drives and SSDs give spurious readings which can totally confuse iLO.

Hi HellDiver

Thanks for the heads up.... the drive is a 120gb OCZ Agility 3 i have 2 so i was going to swap. Before installing i forgot to check for new drive firmware.

Good to see another UK person on here :)

Edited by sutt359

Funny, OCZ was one I had in mind, I remember them not having a temp sensor, and they stuck in -127C in the SMART.  

I would seriously recommend not using the Agility 3.  I had one that failed, and it took 4 replacements before I got one that worked for more than a day.  Pure junk.  Oddly, that SSD was used in my old NL36 Microserver. :)  Replaced it with a Kingsotn V+200 that is still in use today in my HTPC.

The OZC drives ive had just before they went bust... If they go pop im not fussed either way :) i don't mind reinstalling........ the longer they keep going, the cheaper 120gb drives become :)

I run Stablebits Scanner in my Windows 8 based home server.     A couple of months ago, I started getting error messages from the scanner regarding smart errors on system disk -  A 120 GB  Crucial V300 SSD

checking around,  I did  find some evidence that SSD's do go bad,  so  I bought  a replacement on sale and cloned the system disk  -   took about an hour to completely replace the boot drive.

I subsequently used the discrepant SSD as a system disk for a "test" Windows 10  install.   After a month on the job and only 10-20 boots  -  the drive completely failed -  dead as a door nail   

The SSD that failed was a couple of years old -  I started getting errors after the warranty expired.  :(

This was the 2nd time that Stablebit  scanner saved my bacon -  last year  it was one of my data drives that was going bad -   

So the moral of the story is:     SSD's do go bad and when they go, they can go suddenly  .

I have two copies of stable bit scanner running and can recommend the product  -    both times, being able to replace the drive with some heads up saved time and money -  I could replace on a schedule with  a replacement bought from newegg , rather than paying retail for the replacement at Staples or Best Buy

Ilo, appears to have much the same capabilities.

For sure SSDs will die. Every single time data gets written to an SSD it degrades the memory cells that are written to: just a little bit each time, but it adds up. When the SSD runs out of spare cells, it dies.

For sure SSDs will die. Every single time data gets written to an SSD it degrades the memory cells that are written to: just a little bit each time, but it adds up. When the SSD runs out of spare cells, it dies.

Technically, it is the write/erase cycle that wears flash out.

Or a Program/Erase cycle, yes. But, since every write to an SSD requires an erase, I pretty much consider it part of the 'write cycle'.

Only rewrites require an erase cycle and idle garbage collection can delay that. Writing to a new drive or to blocks know to be erased do not require an erase cycle.