RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Technet subscription key (PP1) invalid on PP3?

AlexF

WHS Experts,

my WHS 120day evaluation is coming to end and now it seems I need to "Reinstall Server" to get it it working. Sigh (what's point of trial if I can't in-place activate it using genuine license????)

Anyways, so, now I go and get TechNet Pro serial... However, Technet is showing only Power Pack 1 (PP1). Sigh (why not latest - would really I want old one???)

So, I reboot and commence the "Reinstall Server" and then after selecting disks to use (and before there's any sign of actual installation progress), it prompts me for serial key, I enter it and it tells me it's invalid. WTF?

The only thing I can think of is that I have PP3 installed not PP1 but should that even matter - I mean am pretty sure the 120 day evaluation serial I used was from PP1 package (MS sent me) on the PP3 ISO I downloaded from MS?

I know I can enter nothing now and be prompted for online activation later but my feeling is that if serial is invalid now even before re-installation it'll be invalid after as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Alex

Edited by AlexF

AlexF,

This is a pretty common story for a lot of people. As long as you're using media from the same place as your key, you should be good. Just make sure you're typing it correctly as some letters can look similar. I don't know what it is about MS keys, if its the font, or the fact that they keep getting longer, but I find that I mistype them quite often.

As far as PP3 vs PP1 keys, these are the same. Power Packs are basically the same as service packs. What I would be cautious of is downloading alternate media with PP3 pre-installed. Once PP1 is installed, your WHS will immediately start the process of downloading the updates necessary to bring it up to PP3. Its kind of pain, since there are quite a few reboots involved and a lot to download, but as long as you're patient, it will get you where you need to be.

Thanks for response... however, I am pretty sure I entered the serial correctly.

With regards to download, it was official Microsoft trial, which does come PP3 (and why wouldn't it?)

By the way, I knew that Microsoft prevented in-place upgrade using license, but can anyone present a good argument for this? I know of no other company or product that deliberately makes it difficult for people to license their software.

Microsoft writes "the technicalities of the current product prevent us from allowing an in-place upgrade" but I know that this is wrong, because I activated the trial using 120 day evaluation serial key. Very poor show, Microsoft.

Edited by AlexF

Are you trying to reinstall using your Technet key with the Evaluation media? This is not supported. You would definitely need to download new media from Technet (w/ PP1). It may take a while, but the update process to get your PP1 installation to PP3 is automatic.

As far as having to reinstall, I'm not as upset as others. A clean install always feels better. In order to get evaluation media out the door quickly, companies (not just Microsoft) will use RC builds and not a gold copy. There are also serious hurdles to go through in order to keep people from cracking the evaluation installation and turning it into a free, full fledged one. Knowing all this, I personally don't feel comfortable with anything less than a reinstall.

I also like the way a reinstall implemented in WHS. I can reinstall a clean WHS OS without losing my data, and as long as my add-ins were properly developed, reinstalling them should be near painless. Its not perfect, but this is the direction I want to Microsoft to go in with Windows. There's even some indication that this is a direction MS is headed with Windows 8.

This is not supported. You would definitely need to download new media from Technet (w/ PP1).

OK, if that's the case, then my question is answered. Thanks.

Just to end this sordid story... The Technet serial key did work on Technet-downloaded PP1 ISO and it took 5 hours to download PP2, PP3, dozens of Security patches and half-dozen .NET updates.

One thing interesting that I wasn't prepared for at the time is that during first stages of re-installation I have access to the directories that are already there and I could have loaded the SATA drivers that are not in the default WHS installation ISO/disks. Normally, WHS looks only at a floppy drive (which I don't have) for the drivers, but in this case I could have pointed to a directory on existing disks. Without being prepared, I didn't take advantage of the opportunity and (was forced to) leave the drives in IDE mode emulation, but in case I need to re-install, I'll make sure to have the SATA drivers in a directory.

Edited by AlexF