RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Noob with a Gen 8: Ubuntu Server & RAID setup

Snake172002

Hello everyone,

Last week I purchased a gen 8 microserver (G1610T) and I'm a noob with home servers  :rolleyes:

After a BIOS upgrade I created a RAID0 array with HP tools using the B120i controller and installed Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 in a 16GB Class 10 microSD, but after the first login I just see my two HDD as separated drives.

Is there any way to create an array in Ubuntu Server using the B120i controller or I can only do this with software?

Thanks in advance  ^_^ 

Not meaning to sound boring, but I wouldn't bother with the B120i.

IMO AHCI and http://zfsonlinux.org is a great combination.

You'll probably want 8GB EEC to get good results.

This is handy if you're starting out:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/ars-walkthrough-using-the-zfs-next-gen-filesystem-on-linux/

Edited by scruffters

AHCI is fine if you could be bothered listening to the fans blaring away all day and night.  Most people don't have the luxury of hiding their home server away.

The B120i is a hybrid raid, meaning there's a hardware and software component (driver). Ubuntu does not include the B120i driver, because it's closed source. You need to install the driver provided by HP, if you want to use B120i in RAID mode.

AHCI is fine if you could be bothered listening to the fans blaring away all day and night.  Most people don't have the luxury of hiding their home server away.

Thanks.

You have single handedly reminded me why I don't bother hanging around on forums  :o

Have fun with ya sh*tty integrated RAID boys.

Thanks.

You have single handedly reminded me why I don't bother hanging around on forums  :o

Crazy much?  I don't see how you think my post was anything other than a statement of fact - in AHCI the Microserver runs it's fan louder than is acceptable in my house.

Perhaps you could return to not hanging around on forums. Seems like a win-win for everybody.

• Like 1

The B120i is a hybrid raid, meaning there's a hardware and software component (driver). Ubuntu does not include the B120i driver, because it's closed source. You need to install the driver provided by HP, if you want to use B120i in RAID mode.

Is there any guide for that? I don't know how to install drivers on linux because I never had this issue before  :(

And one more question, what does this message mean?

QdanA1Nl.jpg

I think the array is ok but you know... I'm not really sure:

x9ino7wl.jpg

oN3JAnfl.jpg

I just want to use the server as a NAS (for now) with plex, torrent downloads and sync some folders so I thought installing ubuntu on the microSD and setting my two WD-RE4 in RAID0 would be a good idea  ^_^