RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Do i need Static IP from my Internet Provider to run Anywhere Access and VPN?

Poppapete

I honestly don't know how it works but I use Sophos as my router AND DNS server (not my Windows 2012 R2 E).

I have a dynamic IP from my ISP and I have no problem accessing the server from anywhere using the remote web access.

Obviously you must have a fixed internal IP address for the server.

I should point out that I am not using Active Directory but did the skipdomainjoin.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• rhbkweb

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

Hi,

I found a official Microsoft link where it conforms that their free domain (remotewebaccess.com) as the build in Dynamic DNS feature for users with dynamic ip internet access.

To read go to the following link and scroll down to the "Understnd Microsoft personalized domain names" it says and i quote:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj628152.aspx

"A DNS dynamic update protocol service so that Remote Web Access using your domain name will not be interrupted if your public IP address changes. Typically, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) for your organization’s broadband connections provide dynamic public IP addresses that can change."

So i think this confirm that there is no problem on using Anywhere Access and VPN with a dynamic internet service, correct?

Edited by rhbkweb
Drashna Jaelre

So remotewebaccess.com has DDNS built in?

Yes.

Guys, remember, the Essentials Experience role is *just* the code taken from Windows Home Server 2011 and updated. There isn't any real significant changes to it, and it functions in the same way. 

The same way *.homeserver.com does  would be my guess.

Yes, exactly the same way.

Hi,

On a case of DHCP be running on the router and DNS on the server, is there something need to do on the router settings or firewall to activate the DDNS of the remotewebaccess.com to update / get the internet ip as it changes?

Or is it all done by Windows no needing to change nothing on the router?

Thanks

The Client software will try to change the DNS settings of the connected computers to point the DNS to the server. This can break things, especially on mobile devices (tablets and laptops), when you leave the network.

You can specify a DNS server on the DHCP configuration. This tells all clients to automatically configure to the specified DNS servers, meaning that you don't need to configure anything on the clients.

Specifying the server's internal IP address as the first DNS server and then the router's IP address (or your ISP's DNS server or Google's instead) for the second and/or third DNS servers, as this  ensures that if the server is down, you can still access the internet.

• 2 months later...

Free Microsoft one is perfect. No issues. I use it (comcast), brother in law for.his office (at&t).

Using a 3rd party is crazy waste of money,time, and might break stufd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HellDiverUK

You can use your own domain name, too.  You don't have to use the MS domain names.  I use my own domain (so it's vpn.****.com) which is set up in No-ip.  I run the no-ip client on my router to update the IP address.  So, I just use the Remote Access client to connect to vpn.****.com, works a treat.  Don't let the vpn. fool you, it's just the subdomain, I'm not actually running a VPN.  If that makes sense.

The only caveat with using your own domain name, IIRC, is that you have to have a certificate for it, and you have to make sure that cert is installed on the server and the client you use to access the server using RWA. If you use the MS domain name the certificate stuff is done for you, using a GoDaddy cert.

Drashna Jaelre

The only caveat with using your own domain name, IIRC, is that you have to have a certificate for it, and you have to make sure that cert is installed on the server and the client you use to access the server using RWA. If you use the MS domain name the certificate stuff is done for you, using a GoDaddy cert.

Yup, but the built in options (GoDaddy and eNom) both set up a certificate for you as well.

The caveat, is that you need to install their intermediary CA cert before it will work (which is annoying, and a huge PITA is you don't know how to already)

Yup, but the built in options (GoDaddy and eNom) both set up a certificate for you as well.

I probably worded it badly, but that's what I was trying to say: "If you use the MS domain name the certificate stuff is done for you, using a GoDaddy cert."

Drashna Jaelre

I probably worded it badly, but that's what I was trying to say: "If you use the MS domain name the certificate stuff is done for you, using a GoDaddy cert."

To clarify:

The free domain (.homeserver.com or .remotewebaccess.com) requires no additional setup. 

It sets up the DNS and certificate without any intervention.

The paid options require installing an intermediate CA certificate before it will set up the SSL certificate for you.