RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Do i need Static IP from my Internet Provider to run Anywhere Access and VPN?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• rhbkweb

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

Well, that's a nice bonus I wasn't aware of. Does this mean that WHS2011 has a built in DDNS Client that updates the homeserver.com DNS record?

Hi,

On a case of DHCP be running on the router and DNS on the server, is there something need to do on the router settings or firewall to activate the DDNS of the remotewebaccess.com to update / get the internet ip as it changes?

Or is it all done by Windows no needing to change nothing on the router?

Thanks

Edited by rhbkweb
Poppapete

As usual in the router you will have to forward TCP protocol:Port 80 and 443

Depending on your router this is automatically accomplished (UPnP) in the wizard that sets up "Anywhere Access"

It may have to be done manually if you are using a decent router like UT, Sophos or pfSense that does not use UPnP.

According to Drashna remotewebaccess.com comes with a free GoDaddy SSL certificate, and uses it's own Dynamic DNS updater.

As usual in the router you will have to forward TCP protocol:Port 80 and 443

Depending on your router this is automatically accomplished (UPnP) in the wizard that sets up "Anywhere Access"

It may have to be done manually if you are using a decent router like UT, Sophos or pfSense that does not use UPnP.

Hi,

My router is a TP-Link TL-ER5120 and it has the UPnP feature but i have disable it for security purposes. So i have manually forward the ports 80 and 443 to my server ip.

What i really want to know is by running DHCP on my router do i need to make anything more than open the ports 80 and 443 in order for Anywhere Access and VPN to work properly using a  xxxx.remotewebaccess.com domain and a internet with dynamic ip.

Im asking this because i have never before herad of the possibility of having Anywhere Access and VPN working on a internet with dynamic ip that randomly changes. My idea was that it only worked with static internet ip.

So i think that by using a dynamic ip internet service i must setup some kind of Dynamic DNS service like noip.com or dyn,com service in order to work with a dynamic internet ip.

But from what im reading here it seems that the free microsoft domain already does the DDNS... but i still don't know how he can pass that information by my router firewall...

Any ideas on this?