RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8 TB Hard Disk for $260

Royco

You don't even have to go back as far as tapes.  A friend of my mother was needing files off her old PC, which doesn't have USB ports, no CDRW, and the floppy drive is dead.  There's no easy way of getting data off it without taking the HDD out and using some USB to IDE adaptor to get the drive up and running to get the stuff off it.

Mind you, the USB<>IDE adapters do work really well. I have a combo IDE/SATA unit. It's really small (i.e. portable) and works a charm. One situation where I really find it handy is if I have need to attach a drive that comes from a chassis that requires drive rails. Because of the rails, these drives won't fit into a drive toaster, so the little adapter is an easier alternative to removing the rails.

But yeah, having to open the chassis to extract the drive is a bit of a pain.

Mind you, the USB<>IDE adapters do work really well. I have a combo IDE/SATA unit. It's really small (i.e. portable) and works a charm. One situation where I really find it handy is if I have need to attach a drive that comes from a chassis that requires drive rails. Because of the rails, these drives won't fit into a drive toaster, so the little adapter is an easier alternative to removing the rails.

But yeah, having to open the chassis to extract the drive is a bit of a pain.

That's why I like the older seagate backup plus drives. The "dock" was detachable and you could connect any SATA drive to it. :)

Also.... IDE..... I don't miss it at all.

I don't think I ever used any ESDI drives. I did use ST-506 drives (I'd forgotten about them). I still have some MFM drives in my collection, from companies like Micropolis and Conner.

With MFM drives there were 2 separate ribbon cables required, and they were both ribbon cables, like IDE, except the connectors were different. I still have some of them.

50204252.jpg