RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8 TB Hard Disk for $260

Royco

Nope. Not for home use.

These are "archival" disks, and use a technique called "shingled writes" (IIRC). Meaning that they are VERY VERY VERY bad for random access. Data should only be written to it once and then stored (cold storage).

If you're using this for storage ONLY, then they aren't a bad idea. But they will not be good for anything that remotely resembles home (or NAS) usage.

Yeah, tape technology keeps changing and your old tapes become obsolete because you no longer have a drive that can read them. Somehow, drives remain readable longer.

In my last job I had to keep an old tape system running for three years after moving to disk because our policies requires 3 years of backups. It was a pain and I bet we bought two or three units off ebay for parts.

In my last job I had to keep an old tape system running for three years after moving to disk because our policies requires 3 years of backups. It was a pain and I bet we bought two or three units off ebay for parts.

Yup, exactly to my point. And 3 years is nothing. One place I worked, a gov't agency, had to keep records of everything going back 11 years. Some of its records are considered 'historical' and are to be kept forever. They have a program in place to update a certain amount of their electronic records every year. It's a major PITA keeping the tech up to date.

At one point, they were bundling up records with the tech needed to read them. They hermetically sealed all the tech gear so that it can be used if ever needed. I pointed out that, in 50 years, nobody will be left alive who will know how to use the gear. They argued that people will be able to figure it out. So, I presented them with a 15 year old CP/M computer and 5 1/4 inch floppies. They couldn't even boot it.

I said, "I know how to use this, mostly, since I haven't powered it on in years, but that's because I'm older than you guys. My kids sure don't know how to use it. And what about their kids. My grandchildren won't even have a clue." I argued that we need to just bite the bullet and put the info into as universal a format as we can and then keep copying it forward to newer tech as it comes out. My thought was to store everything in 2 formats: one text format such as PDF and an image format like TIFF or JPG. The biggest issue is trying to avoid, as long as possible, having to go through every document that's in a particular format and re-encode it into a modern format.

• Like 1

You don't even have to go back as far as tapes.  A friend of my mother was needing files off her old PC, which doesn't have USB ports, no CDRW, and the floppy drive is dead.  There's no easy way of getting data off it without taking the HDD out and using some USB to IDE adaptor to get the drive up and running to get the stuff off it.