RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ultra99

turning N54L into a NAS

ultra99

I have the N54L with Windows Server 2012 R2 installed with Essentials installed. I just want this thing to simply act as a NAS. I want it to back up my laptops on a daily basis, for example. Is there an easy way to do that?

I know I can use other software than win server, however, I already have a license and I want to use it and gain experience with server 2012.

Any suggestions?

jcollison

What are you asking for here?  I am unsure of your question?

oj88

Yes, same here.

You pretty much have everything you need to do what you want. The Essentials role will cover client backup tasks and then you can enable File and Storage Services for the NAS functions.

I know what you said about utilizing your Windows license but in case you want something simpler and more purpose-built, search through the forums about XPEnology, which allows you to run Synology's DSM OS on almost any x86 platform.

ultra99

What are you asking for here?  I am unsure of your question?

Yes, same here.

You pretty much have everything you need to do what you want. The Essentials role will cover client backup tasks and then you can enable File and Storage Services for the NAS functions.

I know what you said about utilizing your Windows license but in case you want something simpler and more purpose-built, search through the forums about XPEnology, which allows you to run Synology's DSM OS on almost any x86 platform.

I'm basically looking for a guide/tutorial how to setup these tasks in server 2012.

jmwills

You can run the Synology OS on the N54L

ultra99

You can run the Synology OS on the N54L

I'd rather keep win server. Or do you guys think it's overkill?

oj88

Yes and no. When you said that you wanted it to "simply act as a NAS", then I think WinSvr 2012 is a bit too much. For that, just do the XPEnology+Synology DSM approach and save your license for something more serious. Same goes if you only have one laptop to backup... Just use the built-in Windows Backup (or any 3rd party backup) on your clients and use the NAS you built above as the target.

If you want to backup several laptops, then the Essentials role in WinSvr can be put to good use and the license wouldn't be such a waste, IMO. Along with Storage Spaces (or preferably 3rd party alternatives like Drvepool or Drive Bender), the file server/NAS functionality should be easy to setup in WinSvr.

These are just a couple of many options you can take. I only put in what I personally would do.

ultra99

Yes and no. When you said that you wanted it to "simply act as a NAS", then I think WinSvr 2012 is a bit too much. For that, just do the XPEnology+Synology DSM approach and save your license for something more serious. Same goes if you only have one laptop to backup... Just use the built-in Windows Backup (or any 3rd party backup) on your clients and use the NAS you built above as the target.

If you want to backup several laptops, then the Essentials role in WinSvr can be put to good use and the license wouldn't be such a waste, IMO. Along with Storage Spaces (or preferably 3rd party alternatives like Drvepool or Drive Bender), the file server/NAS functionality should be easy to setup in WinSvr.

These are just a couple of many options you can take. I only put in what I personally would do.

Thanks! These examples sound really good, I just need to know how to put them to use! :P

I have 2 laptops and 4 external hdds that I want to regularly backup to the server.