RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

intel-atom-d510-review-comparison-n330-ion

diehard

Thanks for the article John. This matches the song I have been singing about the Atom platform. I really think the Atom has an application but power/price/energy ratio is just not there. I just bought a D510 for my smoothwall project as I want to experiment with better firewall, however give me a Core I-series for anything else. 10 times the power for just a couple extra watts of power. Much better HTPC choice as well as WHS.

I'm not overly impressed, either, with the power usage of the D510 when compared to the i3. I thought the D510 would be lower - closer to 20W or so with a single drive - but I'm seeing 33-35W @idle. As pcdoc says, the i3 gives you a much better ride for just a few watts more. However, I am impressed with the Atom motherboard/CPU combination's price which is a little less than half of a i3 mobo/CPU combo.

For a standard-use WHS build, that is, one that won't be doing any CPU-intensive work, the Atom D510 works well enough. Storage, backups, common point of access to all media, remote access...those kinds of things are well within manageable for a D510.

*I sort of have to take this position since I just bought a D510 for the heart of a new WHS build. The primary goal of which was to reduce power consumption over the older Sempron 3000+ system I was replacing, which I've managed to do by half. B)

I'm not overly impressed, either, with the power usage of the D510 when compared to the i3. I thought the D510 would be lower - closer to 20W or so with a single drive - but I'm seeing 33-35W @idle. As pcdoc says, the i3 gives you a much better ride for just a few watts more. However, I am impressed with the Atom motherboard/CPU combination's price which is a little less than half of a i3 mobo/CPU combo.

For a standard-use WHS build, that is, one that won't be doing any CPU-intensive work, the Atom D510 works well enough. Storage, backups, common point of access to all media, remote access...those kinds of things are well within manageable for a D510.

*I sort of have to take this position since I just bought a D510 for the heart of a new WHS build. The primary goal of which was to reduce power consumption over the older Sempron 3000+ system I was replacing, which I've managed to do by half. B)

I agree. I have my D510 build and am very happy with it! I'm sure you can get more bang, but I want to save my bucks as well. I'm not doing a big write-up, but I upgraded my HTPC to a core i3 last week and it's very nice too. I have no regrets with either machine.

Yes, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere, the WHS Atom build is for my daughter. She'll be happy with this because she primarily wanted some place to backup photos of her 4 month old daughter.

So as not to feel left out, I bought an Atom 510 board as well. Plan on using it with smooth wall for a dedicated router. Sounds like an interesting to do.