RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP microserver G7 N54L setup

maps

Hello.

I'm new here and, from the posts I've read so far, I'm convinced I will be glad that I found this forum.

(if I'm posting on the wrong section, please let me know... but it 'felt' like the right place)

I've recently purchased a Proliant G7 N54L Microserver AMD Turion II 2.2 Ghz and 2x2TB HDDs, with the intention of using it for:

- hosting a PostGreSQL database (or several) for remote access (from Windows and/or MacOS) (used in ERP software);

- file storage, also to be accessed remotely (read and write);

I've decided to install Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 (zero cost OS), on the 250GB HDD, and using the 2x2TB HDDs for database and file storage.

I was thinking of creating a partition for the database/s and another for file storage.

For the file storage scenario, I was thinking (after some reading) to use SAMBA.

I was hoping for the possibility of seeing the 'shared drive/partition' as a drive on Windows Explorer on the remote laptop/PC.

Is this possible?

I'm glad to receive any advices or suggestions.

I would also like any advice that you're willing to give on seting up the 2 drives in RAID.

As this is my first project of the sorts, I will probably have more questions during installation/setup.

Regards,

maps

PS: I believe some of the users here have installed Ubuntu Server before, so, which 'packages' shall I choose to install along the installation of the OS (besides posgresql)?

Hello.

I'm new here and, from the posts I've read so far, I'm convinced I will be glad that I found this forum.

(if I'm posting on the wrong section, please let me know... but it 'felt' like the right place)

I've recently purchased a Proliant G7 N54L Microserver AMD Turion II 2.2 Ghz and 2x2TB HDDs, with the intention of using it for:

- hosting a PostGreSQL database (or several) for remote access (from Windows and/or MacOS) (used in ERP software);

- file storage, also to be accessed remotely (read and write);

I've decided to install Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 (zero cost OS), on the 250GB HDD, and using the 2x2TB HDDs for database and file storage.

I was thinking of creating a partition for the database/s and another for file storage.

For the file storage scenario, I was thinking (after some reading) to use SAMBA.

I was hoping for the possibility of seeing the 'shared drive/partition' as a drive on Windows Explorer on the remote laptop/PC.

Is this possible?

I'm glad to receive any advices or suggestions.

I would also like any advice that you're willing to give on seting up the 2 drives in RAID.

As this is my first project of the sorts, I will probably have more questions during installation/setup.

Regards,

maps

PS: I believe some of the users here have installed Ubuntu Server before, so, which 'packages' shall I choose to install along the installation of the OS (besides posgresql)?

I have Ubuntu Server 14 installed in a VM on my N54L.

It is my DHCP and DNS server. It used to be my file server and Plex server as well before I installed Xpenology.

I just performed a minimal installation, then installed the servers I needed (DHCP, DNS, Plex, Samba).

For file sharing I enabled NFS sharing and Samba on the Ubuntu server.

Worked really well.

I have Ubuntu Server 14 installed in a VM on my N54L.

It is my DHCP and DNS server. It used to be my file server and Plex server as well before I installed Xpenology.

I just performed a minimal installation, then installed the servers I needed (DHCP, DNS, Plex, Samba).

For file sharing I enabled NFS sharing and Samba on the Ubuntu server.

Worked really well.

Hello yud.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I actually encountered some setbacks while installing Ubuntu Server 14 on my N54L.

All was going fine, I created the partitions, and choose to install Samba and PostGreSQL and Unity GUI during the installation... at the end I receive a message saying that all went well, but I still needed to restart the server and I 'should remember to remove the USB or disc from the tray'...

So I press 'yes' and it reboots, and I remove the USB drive... And at this point, althought it seemed to be going fine, the screen is just black.

I reboot the machine again, but to no avail (same result with the black screen)...

I tryed to reboot from the USB drive again, but that didn't succeed either...

So, tomorrow or after that, I will be trying to format the drives and reinstall Ubuntu, without choosing any of the packages nor GUI...

Do you have any idea as to why I only got a black screen?

Regards,

maps

You say "So I press 'yes' and it reboots, and I remove the USB drive". Does that mean you waited until it rebooted before removing the USB drive?

If so, I think you may have missed the timing. Normally, a statement like that means to click 'Yes' and immediately remove the USB drive.

If you've seen all the Bios-Outputs from the N54l before everything blacked out (but no Bootloader or Ubuntu-Screen), it could be, that, for some reason, the bootloader has not been properly installed...Before reinstalling, try to rewrite Grub or which BL you've choosen... If it works - great, if it's not working: nothing to be lost anyway...

Thank you all for the comments/suggestions.

I haven't had time yet to come around and try again, but I have agreed with myself to make time for it during this upcoming weekend...

I was wondergin if it may be better/easier to have only 1 hard drive (250GB) inside the N54L while installing the OS, and when this is done, re-open the machine to add my two 1TB drives and make the partitions/RAID setup...

My intention is to use the 250GB drive for OS, and use the other 2 drives (4TB total) for file server and PostGreSQL server (I was thinking of partitioning them into 1TB each partition, but haven't done much reading on this subject yet)...

I will be posting back in the weekend with my successes/failures...

Any opinions/suggestions on the above are obviously welcome...

Regards,

maps

Edited by maps

• 1 month later...

If you've seen all the Bios-Outputs from the N54l before everything blacked out (but no Bootloader or Ubuntu-Screen), it could be, that, for some reason, the bootloader has not been properly installed...Before reinstalling, try to rewrite Grub or which BL you've choosen... If it works - great, if it's not working: nothing to be lost anyway...

Hello.

I am back to get some help...

So due to Xmas and other stuff, I first got back to this last week...

But still out of 'luck'...

I tried to reinstall Ubuntu Server from USB some 3 or 4 times, but the outcome was the same as last month.

Then I decided to re-download the iso file, and burn it to a DVD, found me a DVD drive and connected it to the N54L, and tried to install Ubuntu Server this way...

But the outcome was still the same...

Again I re-tried an installation, this time with a new 21,5" screen (although there is nothing wrong with the 40" TV I was using)...

But the result is the same:

Installation runs through fine, until the point of restart comes.

When installation is complete, the DVD drive opens and I remove the disk immediately, and it 'Yes' to restart...

When it restarts, it looks like many commands are being ran (I can't tell what is written, but I see the screen filled with text and it keeps scrolling for a few seconds)...

And after this... nothing... darkness... and both the TV or screen (whichever I'm using) report a message like 'No signal' or 'Mode not supported'...

(I tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, and to my surprise, the N54L restarted... what could this mean...?)

Does anyone have any more ideas?

I don't know what else to try...

Regards,

maps

It's booting, but the video drivers aren't working.  You need to install the AMD chipset drivers.  

I've no idea how that's achieved, but that's the problem you've got.

It's booting, but the video drivers aren't working.  You need to install the AMD chipset drivers.  

I've no idea how that's achieved, but that's the problem you've got.

Thank you, HellDiverUK.

I will try to look for information on how to achieve that...

If someone else here can inform me on how to install AMD chipset drivers, I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile, I'll search the web...

Regards,

maps

Hello.

So after several hours of online research, I found a temporary solution to be able to login (press Shift after boot splash, then I could see the grub menu on the screen, and editted it by adding 'nomodeset', which allowed me to login... i've installed unity for now)...

My next issue is that the resolution is set and locked at 640x480, and I am unable to change via System Settings -> Displays...

I have read online that the GPU on the N54L is not supported, but I could alter the xorg.conf to change my resolution...

is this information viable?

how do I achieve this?

Regards,

maps