RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BIG NEWS starting to come out on VAIL & AURORA

diehard

I like Philip Churchill's comment, AURORA is Vail on steroids.

Vail, like WHS V1 supports 10 PC, but AURORA will support 25. Also AURORA will support Active Directory.

Aurora will be pushing for online e-mail services unlike the usual SBS, which Paul Thorott endorces.

Also it looks like all addins for Vail will also work in Aurora. This open things up quite a bit, if small businesses start using Aurora, the market for addin will go up and we as Home Server users can profit from that using Vail.

Thanks for the links. Aurora sounds great and may be the future for my WHS v1 box.

Thanks for the news John. You know how vail says "windows home server premium". I wonder if the "standard" version will be the home server product and the "premium" line will be targeted to small businesses. Look forward to the discussion on the podcast.

jvk

Also it looks like all addins for Vail will also work in Aurora. This open things up quite a bit, if small businesses start using Aurora, the market for addin will go up and we as Home Server users can profit from that using Vail.

I see this as a double edged sword. Yes, it could mean that the power users who want to use Aurora addins can use them and it also means that we might see a whole new crop of addins. However, businesses usually pay more for what they do. Think about residential vs business internet prices. You are getting the same thing, most of the time, but as a business you pay much more for it. I just hope we don't start seeing the addins that we know and love being sold for $40 and $50 just because businesses are using them.

I see this as a double edged sword. Yes, it could mean that the power users who want to use Aurora addins can use them and it also means that we might see a whole new crop of addins. However, businesses usually pay more for what they do. Think about residential vs business internet prices. You are getting the same thing, most of the time, but as a business you pay much more for it. I just hope we don't start seeing the addins that we know and love being sold for $40 and $50 just because businesses are using them.

Good point. I hope addin developer take that into consideration, as a few I've seen do. For instance Light Out has a personal and commercial license for their addin.