RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting fed up with backup database corruption

jmwills

No kidding. Reliability is the first or second most important thing when it comes to backups.

We're about to find out how reliable a BMR from Essentials R2 is, PXE boot and all.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• ikon

• Vertigo

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ikon. Yes, has a single pair in the server while I RMA'd the other pair. All was fine with the single, stable pair. My first time battling RAM issues...in past I've typically installed and set BIOS to

Drashna Jaelre

Thanks for posting back. I suspect you have got it fixed and the issue is resolved. Now, you just have to get over the idea that Client Computer Backups are fragile or unreliable. After all, it really appears that faulty hardware was the problem — WSE2012R2 can hardly be blamed for that :)

Software is only as reliable as the hardware it's running on. : )

And since the hardware ... well, wasn't reliable. : )

Never did trust them pixies ;)

Pixies are awesome, I don't know what you're talking about. : )

And PXE booting is fantastic. I still say that Microsoft "stole" my idea with the client restore disk via PXE. I'm totally not complaining though.

Software is only as reliable as the hardware it's running on. : )

And since the hardware ... well, wasn't reliable. : )

Ain't that da truth. :)

• 1 month later...
msawyer91

I've been lucky I've never had application corruption issues with bad RAM, like the backup database corruption. Usually my experience with bad RAM results in a blue screen of death with an ugly error like "NMA parity check / memory parity error. The system has halted." Maybe Windows is more tolerant of bad memory, rather than bringing the whole system grinding to a halt.

I suspect it might have something to do with the backup database being open while all this RAM is being used. Bad RAM leads to system crash or hiccups and, boom, database gets hosed.