RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting fed up with backup database corruption

A reasonable precaution. Now that you've islolated the RAM problem, things should bet back to normal. I presume you only have the single pair of DIMMS in the server ATM, the good pair ;)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• ikon

• Vertigo

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ikon. Yes, has a single pair in the server while I RMA'd the other pair. All was fine with the single, stable pair. My first time battling RAM issues...in past I've typically installed and set BIOS to

A reasonable precaution. Now that you've islolated the RAM problem, things should bet back to normal. I presume you only have the single pair of DIMMS in the server ATM, the good pair ;)

Ikon. Yes, has a single pair in the server while I RMA'd the other pair. All was fine with the single, stable pair. My first time battling RAM issues...in past I've typically installed and set BIOS to AUTO and been fine. This was an enlightening experience to say the least.

• Like 1

Although it can be tough to remember at times, when a system is having trouble it's often a good idea to load up memtest86 and let it do at least one pass. The reason I say that is because it will tell you about bad RAM in such a short time. It's such a quick test that, in many ways, I think it's a no-brainer.

/groan....

Why not the Windows Memory Diagnostics?

Probably more habit than anything. Memtest86 has been the go-to RAM tester for so long, and it does such a good job that Corsair insists on a memtest86 report before doing warranty exchanges of faulty RAM. MS is late to the party ;)

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up running memtest on it and what do you know - errors reported!

Have swapped the memory out for some new stuff and checked it with a good few hours of memtest and no errors reported.  Server has been running on this for a couple of weeks now and only time will tell if I get any further corruptions but fingers crossed this was the issue :)

Thanks for posting back about this. Glad to hear that memtest86 was able to find something. I mean, it's not great that the memory is bad, but it is good to know where the problem most likely lies. And hopefully, the RAM is still under warranty.

The tough part is remembering to run memtest86 when problems come up.

This is first time I was made aware of an issue specifically caused by bad RAM. For all I know I've run past systems with RAM issues I've never knew enough to test the memory. Unfortunately with WSE12R2 Client Backups and the backup maintenance process, there is zero tolerance. Is a far more memory intensive process. Had to learn the hard way.

Well I'm still not totally sure the issue is memory - I'll only know that after several months without problems.

My WHS2012R2 system is actually running inside a Hyper-V VM which could also have implications for bad memory as there's obviously another layer of abstraction going on there.

Luckily Corsair have a lifetime warranty and replaced the memory without any questions at all, despite being over three years old :)

Edited by Vertigo