RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting fed up with backup database corruption

Just had it happen again only this time it couldn't have been related to the backup database maintenance that runs early Sunday am.

I'm going to add a dedicated drive for client backups and move them off of my RAID 6 array to that drive. I currently use an external HDD enclosure for my Windows Server backups. Am going to add another external enclosure for the client backups. This is too peculiar.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• ikon

• Vertigo

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ikon. Yes, has a single pair in the server while I RMA'd the other pair. All was fine with the single, stable pair. My first time battling RAM issues...in past I've typically installed and set BIOS to

Ikon and jmwillis - do either of you include the Client Computer Backup folder in your Windows Server Backup schedule?

Ikon and jmwillis - do either of you include the Client Computer Backup folder in your Windows Server Backup schedule?

No. These are separate items for me.

Drashna Jaelre

are you guys running any antivirus on the system? Or have any disk tools installed?

In fact, see about running "fltmc" from an elevated command prompt.

FWIW I ran a few quick passes of memtest86 (1 pass per stick of RAM) and immediately identified 1 of my 4 8GB sticks is bad. Opened an RMA with Corsair and backed my server down to 16 GB (from 32 GB) until my warranty replacements come.

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, that would do it. :(

If it makes you feel better, I had a customer a while back that was experiencing failure... with just ONE client. Turns out it was a single bad stick of RAM in the server .....  

That is why it's ALWAYS a good idea to run a memory test whenever the system is acting weirdly.

No, I use WSB to back up only my WHS2011's C: drive. My RoboCopy scripts take care of all the data, including the Client Computer Backups folder.

I backed off Robocopy backup of my client backup data for a while since it was backing up the files every night. If I didn't identify a corruption issue quick enough, it would potentially copy over the backup with corrupt data within 24 hrs. Am going to try re-enabling Robocopy again tonight so I have a backup of the client backup database.