RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

OneDrive as a CrashPlan replacement?

ikon

If you want your data to have any real security when stored in the cloud I would make sure it's encrypted before transmitting it. If I was storing in the cloud I think I would use TrueCrypt. I know, I know, TrueCrypt has been somewhat controversial over the past few years, but I still believe it's a secure encryption technolody. Besides, it's been getting attention from the Open Source community since the TC guys mysteriously, and cryptically, called it quits.

Zenon

If you want your data to have any real security when stored in the cloud I would make sure it's encrypted before transmitting it. If I was storing in the cloud I think I would use TrueCrypt. I know, I know, TrueCrypt has been somewhat controversial over the past few years, but I still believe it's a secure encryption technolody. Besides, it's been getting attention from the Open Source community since the TC guys mysteriously, and cryptically, called it quits.

Ikon, you are right.

I only use the Truecrypt 7.1a and the clouds outside the US: Jottacloud in Norway, and Wuala (default encrypted) in Switzerland.

Edited by Zenon

Drashna Jaelre

Besides, it's been getting attention from the Open Source community since the TC guys mysteriously, and cryptically, called it quits.

Not really a mystery. GRC has a good theory about why.

Also, there has been issues with open source support of Secure boot. 

ikon

Yes, but Steve's ideas are just that: ideas. Apparently, no one outside the inner circle seems to know exactly what happened.

Drashna Jaelre

Yes, but of all the theories I've heard, it's the one that makes the most sense. Especially given the open source community......

Jason

What are the current theories? I've moved away from TC. May revisit.

ikon

Yes, but of all the theories I've heard, it's the one that makes the most sense. Especially given the open source community......

I don't say Steve's hypothesis is wrong; only that it's unproven. I haven't read any ideas that make more sense.

What are the current theories? I've moved away from TC. May revisit.

I suggest you read Steve's article yourself and decide if it makes sense for you: https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm