RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

OneDrive as a CrashPlan replacement?

Mr Bill

Good day all,

Now that OneDrive now has basically unlimited storage, I am looking at using it as my cloud backup solution and having it replace my CrashPlan online backup.

Has anyone used a software product that will back up a computer to OneDrive?

OneDrive has been opening up recently and letting other applications place hooks into a OneDrive account.

Is there some drawback that I am overlooking?

Thanks for your time.

Bill

awraynor

Would this support revisions. You can search for previous versions within Windows, but are all of these backed up?

I always remember that syncing is not backup and as much as I dislike the memory requirements of CrashPlan

it is an unlimited true backup.

I came home Thursday to find the entire contents of the Music folder empty and I hadn't opted to include it in

my CrashPlan backup. I can redownload through my Zune subscription, but that takes a lot of time. I tried to

mount a restore through 2011, but it just crashed my PC and failed. Boo 2011. 

Al_Borges

I am also thinking of using Onedrive to replace Crashplan  -  

OneDrive  has an file size limitation  -  unless you have the backup program break up the backup set into smaller files ,  Onedrive wont work.

Microsoft just increased the file size limit to 2G or so -  I dont remember exactly -  the change is being rolled out  so not everyone has seen the increase

However,  I dont consider Crashplan to be my recovery source for bare metal restores -  just offline continuous  protection for data.

OneDrive can also serve as local data backup -   I have a synced onedrive folder on my home server as  well as my laptop and main machine -  so 3 local copies plus the "cloud"

I use Acronis to make periodic backup images.   storing on a separate offline USB drive

Crashplan is wonderful program and very useful -   however, it does take a lot of resources to run and a yearly crashplan account is about what a office365 subscription costs    so  if you will, you are getting office 365 for "free"

Dave

Would this support revisions. You can search for previous versions within Windows, but are all of these backed up?

I always remember that syncing is not backup and as much as I dislike the memory requirements of CrashPlan

it is an unlimited true backup.

I came home Thursday to find the entire contents of the Music folder empty and I hadn't opted to include it in

my CrashPlan backup. I can redownload through my Zune subscription, but that takes a lot of time. I tried to

mount a restore through 2011, but it just crashed my PC and failed. Boo 2011. 

Did you happen to upload to any other service? Xbox360 or Amazon? I uploaded to Amazon and then re-downloaded the matched music which was cleaner and higher bitrates. 

Tsk Tsk Tony! Then again, my music folder is only 20 to 30Gb. I know you guys have massive collections.  

awraynor

Did you happen to upload to any other service? Xbox360 or Amazon? I uploaded to Amazon and then re-downloaded the matched music which was cleaner and higher bitrates. 

Tsk Tsk Tony! Then again, my music folder is only 20 to 30Gb. I know you guys have massive collections.  

My owned music is in a separate folder which is also backed up on Amazon with a portion of that replicated on iTunes Match and Google Music. 

It is the subscription portion that I had to download. It is just time consuming to download it again while trying to remember everything that was 

already done.

Still not sure why trying to mount a folder for restore made the PC crash. Will try to find some time to look at that.

Edit: Mounted the folder backup from my notebook and restore worked fine.

Drashna Jaelre

I've see that actually... (BSOD caused by mounting a backup).

Check the file system filters in the system, by running "fltmc" from an elevated command prompt.

Also, I don't believe in the cloud. 

It's data that is in somebody else's data center. Period. End of story. Meaning that they can potentially sift through your data and look at it. 

In fact, the TOS or EULA probably explicitly allows that, as nobody actually reads those... except lawyers and masochists. 

I have a cloud server. I'm happy with it, and don't plan on changing things.

ikon

^^ What he said. Not that I would never put anything in the cloud; only that I would never put anything personal or financial or that could harm me in any other way in the cloud.

Zenon

Hello,

Do you encrypt data before sending them to the Onedrive or Amazon?
I realize that not all data can be sensitive, but encryption is very important nowadays.

ikon

The stuff I put in the cloud I do not encrypt, but it doesn't need to be. If I was putting sensitive data in the cloud I would definitely encrypt, but I avoid all of the issues by not putting any sensitive in the cloud in any form.... it's a real good thing :)

Jason

What encryption techniques are people using to encrypt data going to either CP or OD? I know it's encrypted during transmission though not sure about storage on their host servers.