RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi doesn't recognise my mSD card!

odarriba

Hello!

I've a new Microserver Gen8 with 4 HDDs (in 2 logical volumes) and a microSD card (a Samsung SDHC, 32GiB).

The problem is that I've downloaded an ISO from HP website (vSphere 5.5 U2 Nov2014, it's ESXi) and tried to install mounting it using iLO remote client.

When the installation starts it desn't recognise the microSD card as a place to get installed into, only shows the two logical volumes.

What I'm doing wrong?

In iLO web interface the SD card appears to be present, with 32GB :S

Thanks in advance, this forum is awesome!

I don't know much of anything about ESXi, but is 32GB enough for it to install on? I mean, Windows Server won't install on drives below a certain size (the size varies with the specific version). Perhaps ESXi has a similar limitation?

I don't know much of anything about ESXi, but is 32GB enough for it to install on? I mean, Windows Server won't install on drives below a certain size (the size varies with the specific version). Perhaps ESXi has a similar limitation?

I've readed somewhere that the minimum is 4GiB so that shouldn't be the problem I guess.

Please close this thread.

I've finally found how to make it works.

1) Put the microSD card in other device and reformat it (in my case, in a Nokia Lumia 830).

2) Put it again in the Microserver and check if the iLO shows it as correct.

3) Boot to the Intelligent Provisioning tool.

4) Mount the ISO image through the iLO client

5) Select the option to Install an OS, and select vSphere/ESXi, type of installation Manual and boot from Disc.

6) The Microserver will reboot, boot from the virtual disc you've mounted from iLO remote client and FINALLY shows the microSD card.

OMG.

There ya go! Glad to see you got it working.

We don't really close threads. Thanks to your post, I'm sure some others will find the solution to their ESXi installation issues.