RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Server 2k12 Essentials R2 won't restart

gstaver

I have a new Gen8 microserver. I upgraded the processor to a Core i3 3220T and the memory to 8 gig. I installed a Kingston HyperX 240 gig ssd in the ODD bay and have it cabled to the blue port on the motherboard. I also have 4 - 1.5 TB drives installed in a RAID 10. I used Intelligent Provisioning to successfully install Server 2012 Essentials R2. The problem that I have is that any time I want to shutdown or just restart the server it freezes up and shows Restarting on the screen. I downloaded the latest HP Smart Update and have all of the BIOS, Firmware and drivers up to date as far as I know. I also have all windows updates installed. During the install of windows the automatic restarts seemed to work fine. I have to either use the iLo or press and hold the power button to get it to turn off. I can then turn it back on and everything works fine until I try to restart or shutdown again. Has anyone seen this before? And if so any ideas on how to get it to shutdown and restart properly?

Thanks!

Have you reinstalled WSE2012r2, just in case it's a bad install?

Yep. Multiple times. Right now I am installing it on just one of the 1.5 TB hard drives just to make sure there isn't an issue with my SSD even though it is brand new.

I did some more testing. I installed Server 2k12 R2 Essentials on a spinning 1.5 TB drive in slot 1 of the drive bay and the above issue did not come back. The 1.5 TB drive was configured as a RAID 0 and was the only drive in the server. I then removed that drive and installed Server 2K12 Essentials on my SSD that I reconnected in the ODD bay. The issue did not return there either. So I am thinking it had something to do with the RAID 10. All 4 drives are the exact same specs and manufacturer. The only thing I can think of is that bays 1 and 2 are 6gb and bays 3 and 4 are only 3gb and maybe that caused the issue? I do have 2 of these drives in a RAID 1 and everything seems to be working now. But I thought that this is a little weird.

That sounds like a reasonable hypothesis. It is true that the bays are different speeds. Makes me wonder if using SATA II drives in all 4 slots my work, simply because it should force bays 1 & 2 to work at 3Gb.

I'm seeing the same issue on my Gen8 - won't reboot.  I've a SSD connected to the ODD port, SATA set to AHCI.  Weird.  Worked OK with the drives set in RAID.

So if you make the SSD a RAID0 1-drive array it boots? This actually sounds familiar

Yep. The problem only seems to happen when I have a 4 drive RAID 10 setup installed. I still don't know if the speed difference between bays 1-2 and 3-4 that would be causing what I am seeing. As long as I only do a RAID 1 everything is fine.