RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, thoughts?

tinkererguy

I haven't had the time for testing but in this case this is a good thing so I am able to use the GA-Version. :-) Thank you for the info!

Does Veeam Endpoint Backup free support incremental backups? Mac time machine handles this very well, but the built-in windows file history seems to keep too many versions for its own good and runs out of space. I would like an alternative for windows.

I have Veeam EndPoint running on my desktop PC. After an initial 99GB OS drive backup file, it now creates daily backup files of around 1GB to 3GB.

This is a test setup. I still have the desktop backing up to WHS2011. As part of the test, I'm using Veeam to back up to a test Xpenology box.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Veeam Endpoint Backup free support incremental backups? Mac time machine handles this very well, but the built-in windows file history seems to keep too many versions for its own good and runs out of space. I would like an alternative for windows.

Well, "file History backups" can be configured. You can configure how often it saves the files (daily/24 hours is the longest time), how the disk space (2%, 5%, 10% or 20%, only), and how long to keep the versions (3 months is default, but there is a "Until space is needed" option.

Additionally, WSE can be set as a File History Backup destination. :)

Could this be used to back up a WS2012R2 Essentials box, or is it strictly for client OS?  I was looking at Crashplan recently ($59/year, and unlimited backup).  I'm vaguely familiar with the company Veeam, as it's used by my company with VMWare VSphere.

From Veeam Website FAQ:

"Can Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE be used to back up physical servers? Can it be used as an enterprise physical server backup tool?

Customers can use Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE to back up those few remaining physical Windows servers in their environment. Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE does not scale beyond a few servers, however, and does not implement server-specific backup features (e.g., Veeam advanced application-aware processing, support for server clusters, etc.)."

• 3 weeks later...

Like many of you, I've relied on Microsoft Windows based home server products for 7 or 8 years now. And I still like it, but there have been bumps in the road lately, even with R2.

So I recently took notice of this:

http://go.veeam.com/endpoint

It does bare metal restores, and interesting that they're "paying" superstar beta testers with 6 Surface Pro 3 tablets.

Any of you tried this yet?  As for me, still awaiting my beta approval/download instructions.

An excerpt from their announcement here:

http://www.veeam.com/blog/announcing-veeam-endpoint-backup-free.html

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE is a product that allows you to backup your Windows-based computers to an internal or external hard drive, a NAS share or a Veeam Backup Repository. It writes the backups in VBK format, which is the same format as Veeam Backup & Replication.

VEB-01.png

Paul,

I was just made aware of Veeam from another thread with a link to your site, WOW as soon as I started reading your blog about Veeam my eyes opened real wide & the chills started coming with excitement. I said YES I can finally fill that missing peace that I have been missing since I shut down my WSE2012r12 this year in favor of using Synology. Like you I have tested it and I love it, I am now doing my 4th install of Veeam in house then I will start installing it on my extended family's computers :)

Thanks for all your hard work on your blog.

Edited by MrFixit

I've used Ghost and other cloning and backup tools since the mid 1990s. I now have about 12 PCs that have a lot of duplicate data, backed up daily (when things work right).

I know for my family, any potential replacement for my W2012R2E must meet these requirements:

1. full bare metal restore capabilities, with full UEFI and >3TB drive support
  2. automatic scheduling of remote machines, even those that are coming in remotely over VPN (so can't use WOL/magic packets), for those daily backups
  3. some sort of single-instance-storage or dedupe, eg., one Windows 8.1 PC should take up about the same space on the data store chosen for backups as ten PCs
  4. ability to grow the backup repository easily

(which Veeam's Backup & Replication VMware & Hyper-V products offer, but it's not an appliance or simple, http://www.veeam.com/vm-backup-recovery-replication-software.html )

Some might ask, why not just start from scratch when things go wrong, and backup just documents to the cloud somewhere? Because that strategy just isn't my thing, and it's way too complex to rebuild many of these machines from scratch (specific drivers, mouse settings, custom sleep settings, etc.)

Far better and less time consuming for me to simply restore back to the date when things worked great.

So my thread here is really about how others feel, as the beta gets into more of our homes.  About its potential to disrupt things in 2015, in a good way, perhaps.  I realize it's just a beta, and it may be way too early to really know yet.

Like Dave, still awaiting my download instructions too.  Hopefully this thread will kick off folks sharing their first-hand experiences with the beta, should be interesting!

Paul,

I am with you 100% I just had a family member try and fix there own computer the other day & guess what? The way they tried to fix it is, Are you ready for this?? Factory Reset :o so you know it was not long after that I got the dreaded phone call, PLEASE HELP! ya, I am still trying to get everything reinstalled & configured for him... A product like Veeam is a worm welcome for me.

• 1 month later...

I have a WHSV1 (HP EX 485) that keeps chugging along.  Unfortunately, after purchasing a new computer (Win 7.1 64 bit) I can not get the Connector to install, although it works on my other boxes.  Now with W10 coming, I am wondering if:

Continue to use my WHSv1 for my filesharing and backups.

Use Veeam Endpoint on the W10 clients

I only use my server for sharing and backup so Remote Access or additional features is not an issue for me.  this seems like a very inexpensive solution to keep my WHS in use.

Thanks for the feedback.