RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, thoughts?

tinkererguy

Can it use My SQL? You can limit the amount of resources SQL can consume. But in the end what do you expect for free?

A chance to ask all those questions and get an answer from Veeam.

http://www.tinkertry.com/tinkertry-it-home-hangouts-on-air-event-dec-22-2014-ask-veeams-rick-vanover-your-endpoint-backup-free-questions/

Monday 7pm Eastern

and a lot of information about Veeam Endpoint Recovery here:

http://www.tinkertry.com/superguide-veeam-endpoint-backup-free/

• 2 weeks later...

He all, I'm so sorry I didn't see this before recording my interview with Veeam.  I have queued up some of the tougher questions I ran out of time to ask, and will add this concern about the bundled runtimes to my list.  I too am curious if the bundled runtimes will be avoided if the backup to the Veeam Repository target is chosen instead (once enabled in later beta builds).

I share many of your concerns, and had the same initial reaction as Dave when I saw what it was installing, seen also at bottom left of screenshot (of a Windows 10 system I had handy) below, here's the list:

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Management Objects (x64)

Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2012 (x64)

That said, the impact on resources seems reasonable, with me completing a backup on my 7 year old ThinkPad T61p laptop in 3 minutes (equipped with 96GB SATA2 SSD C: drive with Windows 8.1 installed, about 45GB of data overall).  Endpoint claims to do some auto-throttling, and at default install settings, it didn't seem to affect the system's usability much at all when using it during these backups, but I schedule them to run at night anyway.

It took 26 minutes using WS2012R2E, using the same "Client Compute Backups" drive (exposing it to Endpoint via a network share). Admittedly, all my WS2012R2 backup/restore functionality got a lot slower when I was ramped all the way up to 3TB of Client Computer Backups (total) way back in Jan 2014 (with about 14 systems I'm backing up daily ever since).

I also had to do a restore of my W520 laptop's 1TB SSD C: drive this weekend from WS2012R2E, and it took about 20 hours.  So I need to take a long hard look at what I'm doing in my home lab, and how I'm doing it.  I'm frankly skeptical whether I can fix this though. This sort of slowdown was evident all the way back to Windows Home Server 2011, as the tipping point seemed to be around 2TB for Client Computer Backups total storage use, at which time performance for backups really seems to drag.

I'm trying to stay open minded, and frankly would prefer if WS2012R2E was faster.  Veeam Endpoint is just beta, but so far, the preliminary gut feeling is that it might work out for me in my home lab situation, assuming they get past some bugs I've experienced (and easily reported).  That does not mean I can claim it'll meet everybody's needs, of course, which is why I'm taking time to test it further, and to keep updating my WS2012R2E versus Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE comparison chart.

TinkerTry.com-look-at-Veeam-Endpoint-Bac

Well, I'm glad to hear that they limit the SQL server resources.

As for the Client Backup service in Essentials, I've never experienced that issue, actually. Very odd.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been extremely happy with the beta. I run it in tandem with acronis for an extra BM backup of my desktop. I have used it to restore individual files by mounting the data drive (I keep the default 14 days of data). IMO it is easier to setup than acronis for both backup and restore. I have installed the RC version which cannot be upgraded from beta. Beta must be uninstalled first. The beta backups cannot be restored with the RC either. The same will apply to the RTM when released. And it is FREE.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I knew eventually somebody would make a comment like that. It's potentially a game changer if the GA code is solid.

A free way to give backup and bare metal restore abilities to NAS owners, and faster and cheaper than WS2012R2E.

• 3 weeks later...

It's arriving very soon:

http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/veeam-endpoint-backup-free-rc-t26694-60.html

https://twitter.com/paulbraren/status/587432637461110784

and testing of the latest builds has been going well with my primary laptop system (1TB SSD C: and 1TB D spinny drive).

Yeah, no dedupe/single instance storage, but also way faster than WS2012R2E for restores, we'll see soon, what happens with GA product...

Thanks for the informations about Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE.

I know Veeam from work where we use it to backup our esxi-farm with about 300 VMs. For single server we currently use Acronis but I will try Veeam Endpoint Backup and see if it meets my expectations. :)