RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, thoughts?

tinkererguy

The one thing no has mentioned is the security of your backups.  I know the company advertises like CRAZY but what details have they shared about the security and availability of your backups?

Ok, I'm slower moving than you guys but am downloading it now.  I've made some changes to my desktop setup and think i'll test it with a Core i3 PC.  My first thought is: 233MB download? Seriously?

Otherwise the notes on the download seem interesting.  "Veeam Backup & Replication™ integration and backup repository support are NOT included in this beta"  <-------This sounds fun!

Who else is testing?

Ok, I'm slower moving than you guys but am downloading it now.  I've made some changes to my desktop setup and think i'll test it with a Core i3 PC.  My first thought is: 233MB download? Seriously?

Otherwise the notes on the download seem interesting.  "Veeam Backup & Replication™ integration and backup repository support are NOT included in this beta"  <-------This sounds fun!

Who else is testing?

Also, not free.

And IIRC, it's not exactly simple to setup, either.

And i'm not thrilled about having to install SQL Server on each system that this is on. Though, I suspect that may be "mitigated" by integration with the Backup & Replication product....

Tested for a couple of hours... Not sure I'd use, unless I managed to completely break Server Backup (as that backs up my critical VMs).

If the repository could be stored on a NAS in the home there is a good argument for this versus WHS or Essentials R2.  By the way, I'm sitting here staring at the SQL Server 2012 prompts and loathing to continue.

If the repository could be stored on a NAS in the home there is a good argument for this versus WHS or Essentials R2.  By the way, I'm sitting here staring at the SQL Server 2012 prompts and loathing to continue.

Yes, what is it about SQL Server that makes one loath to install it??

Memory and CPU usage.

I dunno; I think there's something about the installation process that makes a person say, "Oh crap, here we go again". I think it's all the choices, and the fact that rarely are the defaults really viable. Somehow, SQL Server just isn't a fun experience.

...Somehow, SQL Server just isn't a fun experience.

^this

and it is a serious resource hog... that's why Microsoft basically requires a dedicated server for using with SCCM... it's not the tools that require a ton of resources, it's the SQL server required behind it.