RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, thoughts?

tinkererguy

I rebooted. Backup never started. I tried to start a new backup and received the same error message. I'm done. Removing product from my VM.  (Paragon Backup & Recovery 15 Home removed)

Edited by HSS-Dave
Clarification added since this post is top of page 2 and not talking about original subject.

I can't blame you. There may well be a way to make it work, but who needs the hassle, especially if you already have something that works.

• Like 1

the Essentials/Home Server backup is triggered by a scheduled task. So remote backup should always work properly.

So any replacement should use the same methodology. Or similar enough to not rely on network wake.

Agreed, I was trying to explain what would be needed for me to consider replacing my WS2012R2 VM, and a scheduler task was one of those bullet points.

Email came back from Veeam with password (not to be shared with anyone) for access to download site for Veeam Endpoint Backup (beta).

http://vee.am/veb

Could not gain access with password, so I gave up.

EDIT:

So I am a bit slow.  You register again with a new password and after authentication you can login to the DL site and use the password originally sent.

Very slow DL!

Email came back from Veeam with password (not to be shared with anyone) for access to download site for Veeam Endpoint Backup (beta).

http://vee.am/veb

Could not gain access with password, so I gave up.

EDIT:

So I am a bit slow.  You register again with a new password and after authentication you can login to the DL site and use the password originally sent.

Very slow DL!

So slow in fact after 2 hours = "failed download"

I will try again when I have nothing else to do!

EDIT:

This time I DL'd the User Manual which took over a minute instead of the normal 4 or 5 seconds.  It is a comprehensive 90 page document. Here is the "Solution Architecture" from page 6.

Solution Architecture

Veeam Endpoint Backup is set up on the computer whose data you want to protect.  

Veeam Endpoint Backup has one-service architecture. When you install the product, the following components are deployed on the computer:

Veeam Endpoint Service is a Microsoft Windows service responsible for performing all kind of backup and restore tasks on the computer. The service is started automatically when you power on your computer, and runs continuously in the background.

Veeam Endpoint Service is a Microsoft Windows service responsible for performing all kind of backup and restore tasks on the computer. The service is started automatically when you power on your computer, and runs continuously in the background.

To store its configuration data, Veeam Endpoint Backup uses the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB Edition. The LocalDB Edition requires the minimum number of files to install and takes little resources to run a local on-demand Microsoft Server instance. The LocalDB is executed as a sub-process launched by the Veeam Endpoint Service. When the Veeam Endpoint Service is stopped, the LocalDB sub-process is stopped, too.

I rebooted. Backup never started. I tried to start a new backup and received the same error message. I'm done. Removing product from my VM.

I had similar issues with Samsung Data Migration Software once, it complained about open files, which didn't exactly give me confidence in the quality of the move to SSD.  I then used Macrium Reflect I believe, but it's not a great experience to run.

Well I finally got the DL and installed it. I have tried it and it does work. Did a bare metal backup of a basic 8.1 setup  no problem.

It is very similar to acronis, nice interface.  Interestingly it is said to work over a WiFi connection (which I did not try).

After DL a guy phoned me from Sydney within 5 hours, I am in Brisbane which is very strange since the DL came from Ohio.

Probably not, since to register you have to give them all your info.

With a bit of gooleing you will find they have offices all over the world, not a small company.

The guy who phoned me was mainly interested in backup of server VM's. This it seems is their big go at present which is not a bad idea if you think about it.