RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, thoughts?

schoondoggy

I haven't used Paragon, but I sure don't find Acronis user friendly in any sense of the world. If Paragon is worse that's pretty abysmal.

Paragon has a lot of features so that can make it a bit confusing.

Here is the users guide:

http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/Paragon-Backup-and-Recovery-15-Home-User-Manual.pdf

or you can download a trial copy:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/download.html

I wouldn't trust my data to a Beta :mellow: I'd choose Acronis TI 2014 over Paragon Backup & Recovery 15 Home. Acronis seems to be much more user friendly and it has saved me more times than I can count.

The Beta is just for testing. They will ship a production version for free.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Poppapete

• tinkererguy

• itGeeks

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've used Ghost and other cloning and backup tools since the mid 1990s. I now have about 12 PCs that have a lot of duplicate data, backed up daily (when things work right).   I know for my family, a

Like many of you, I've relied on Microsoft Windows based home server products for 7 or 8 years now. And I still like it, but there have been bumps in the road lately, even with R2.   So I recently t

I just put this in shownotes for next week.  I signed up for Veeam but I haven't been able to find the actual beta download!

Posted Images

tinkererguy

I've used Ghost and other cloning and backup tools since the mid 1990s. I now have about 12 PCs that have a lot of duplicate data, backed up daily (when things work right).

I know for my family, any potential replacement for my W2012R2E must meet these requirements:

1. full bare metal restore capabilities, with full UEFI and >3TB drive support
  2. automatic scheduling of remote machines, even those that are coming in remotely over VPN (so can't use WOL/magic packets), for those daily backups
  3. some sort of single-instance-storage or dedupe, eg., one Windows 8.1 PC should take up about the same space on the data store chosen for backups as ten PCs
  4. ability to grow the backup repository easily
    (which Veeam's Backup & Replication VMware & Hyper-V products offer, but it's not an appliance or simple, http://www.veeam.com/vm-backup-recovery-replication-software.html )

Some might ask, why not just start from scratch when things go wrong, and backup just documents to the cloud somewhere? Because that strategy just isn't my thing, and it's way too complex to rebuild many of these machines from scratch (specific drivers, mouse settings, custom sleep settings, etc.)

Far better and less time consuming for me to simply restore back to the date when things worked great.

So my thread here is really about how others feel, as the beta gets into more of our homes.  About its potential to disrupt things in 2015, in a good way, perhaps.  I realize it's just a beta, and it may be way too early to really know yet.

Like Dave, still awaiting my download instructions too.  Hopefully this thread will kick off folks sharing their first-hand experiences with the beta, should be interesting!

• Like 2

I took a look at it, and while there didn't seem to be any limits... I was concerned with the VeeamZIP file format...  if it turns out to be 100% 7zip or WinZip compatible, I'd be more likely to try it out.  If not and it's proprietary, no thanks.  Free or not, it doesn't matter.. I can't foresee the problems that might posses.

Tinkerguy, isn't the backup of clients triggered by a Scheduled Task, not by WoL or Magic Packets. In which case, your remote backups should work fine, shouldn't they?

Drashna Jaelre

Tinkerguy, isn't the backup of clients triggered by a Scheduled Task, not by WoL or Magic Packets. In which case, your remote backups should work fine, shouldn't they?

the Essentials/Home Server backup is triggered by a scheduled task. So remote backup should always work properly.

So any replacement should use the same methodology. Or similar enough to not rely on network wake.

I decided to give Pagagon Backup & Recovery 15 Home a try. I loaded it on a virtual machine. Unfortunately everytime I try to backup my volume. I get the message in the attached screen shot. I rebooted and got the same message. I've run Acronis on this same virtual machine with no problems. I can't attach the screenshot because it's 335K and the limit is 219K. Why is the file upload limit so small?

Edited by Technogod
schoondoggy

You could try turning down your screen resolution or cropping the picture.

I use a picture hosting service, imageshack.us..

What does the error message say?

schoondoggy

Just a guess on my part, but I would think the reboot is required so that no files are active/open that way the image is clean and free of open files.