RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 Client Restore, GPT, UEFI, BMR

TheGuy

The restore was working and I left it alone as it had a few hours worth of copying to the laptop disk.  I came back to it this morning and my WHS-2011 disk had failed and it's affecting my ability to restore any backups, from any computer in the house.  Lesson learned, the 4TB and 6TB drives fail and when they do, they bring a lot of information with them.  too bad, as it was only 1-2 months old...  Must be the perfect storm.

so now my laptop is not restorable as my WHS-2011 failed due to a disk going bad as well.  And yes for anyone wondering, they are all on UPS systems.  So no power issues,possible...probable.  One on the house circuit and one for each server and desktop.

So currently I am trying to rebuild the 4TB NAS drive that failed.  It went from ok to RAW (or unformatted) in Disk Manager view.  I have no clue how it did that; maybe the reboot from last night?

any ways, once I have something working, I'll move forward...or try.

Issues like this are why I never put any HDD, new or sitting on my shelf, into service without running it through a disk tester.

My preferred tester is SpinRite, but it's only good for drives up to 2TB. For larger drives I'm still investigating several options (at least until SpinRite gets updated to handle larger drives). I have one running downstairs right now. When I get a chance I'll check which one it is a post an update.

Basically, my philosophy is to never trust a hard drive right out of the box.

• Like 1

StableBit Scanner would probably have picked up the disk failure before you had problems. I have it on all my machines.

• Like 1

So currently I am trying to rebuild the 4TB NAS drive that failed.  It went from ok to RAW (or unformatted) in Disk Manager view.  I have no clue how it did that; maybe the reboot from last night?

any ways, once I have something working, I'll move forward...or try.

If the drive was writing to the partition table and it rebooted, dropped temporarily, or otherwise left the system for any reason, then it can absolutely cause this. This is why I hate USB for long term storage, and try to steer people away from it.  (as this "leaving" or dropping is "within tolerance" of the USB specs....)

But this can happen with any drive. Unfortunately.

Also, sometimes, when a drive is going bad, this will happen too.

Also, there is an apparent issue with the Crucial MX100 line, some of the SSDs are "dropping" from the system.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8532-crucial-mx100-bug-oh-dear/