RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 Client Restore, GPT, UEFI, BMR

TheGuy

Ok Folks

I currently am using WHS2011 with ALL updates + the UEFI hotfix.  Everything working well for the last several months, years.  Backup done without issues.

Situation:  Asus laptop has disk drive crash.  Bought new SSD to replace old hybrid SSD+HDD.  Trying to restore laptop with latest full backup from WHS 2011.  Unable to restore onto the new SSD.   The Laptop is a Asus GPT UEFI based laptop that was running Windows 8.1 X64.

Try no 1:  Replaced HDD with SSD and created a boot and recover USB key from WHS-2011.  Laptop does not have a CD drive.  Laptop unable or unwilling to boot from USB key.  Laptop secure bios is disabled. USB key is good and files are on USB. USB key is recognised by BIOS and shows that it boots from USB but fails to load Windows recovery.

Try no 2:

Searched and found a way to load the new SSD using another PC.  This looked simple and straight forward. Took SSD and installed in desktop PC, started the recovery as stated in video link below.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5280-bare-metal-backup-and-recovery-whs2011-vs-scheduled-backups-in-the-dashboard/?hl=%2Bclient+%2Brestore#entry57485

This is not working for me as it allows me to copy the "D" drive but not the "C" drive or any of my reserved, recover, System areas.

Question:  Has anyone out there been able to get a Windows X64 laptop on 8.1 restored using the WHS-2011 USB boot key?

if yes, please supply a step by step method that I can understand and follow.  Bare Metal restore or volume restore or whatever I need to take the backup and install it on this new SSD.  Any help would be appreciated, as at this point in time, I'm wondering if I can tie my own shoes... ;)

Thank You

Not a laptop, but I have restored my Win 8.1 desktop successfully.

However, there is a question. Do you have the GPT hotfix installed on your WHS2011?

Sorry, missed that.

OK, so here's how I do it.

1. As you tried already, attach the drive to another working Windows PC
  2. Use Disk Manager to view the partitions on the drive; make note of the partition sizes
  3. Delete the partitions
  4. Now recreate the partitions, same sizes, but do not give them a drive letter or format them
  5. Restore from a backup.

Hmmm, well this is not working for me.  It gives me a network error after 30 seconds or so...my network is rock solid between the WHS-2011 and my DeskTop.  Could it be the order of the partitions?

Capture-disk.PNG

Capture-disk2.PNG

One thing to add:  I am unable to delete the EFI partition. (Refer to 300MB) at beginning of disk. Should I be able to?

Sounds like you don't have the right driver for your network card. This has happened to me too. It's the main reason I've standardised on Intel NICs - the WHS2011 Client Restore has the Intel driver built in. Do you know the model of NIC in your computer? Or do you have the manual for the motherboard? If not, perhaps you can look the model of motherboard and identify the NIC.

If you are doing the restore on another computer, you could always just boot it up with its normal operating system and check Device Manager to find out what NIC it is. Then, you need to get a 32 bit version of the NIC driver.

Post back when you have that done and we can go from there, otherwise this post will get too long.

Well my NIC cards are:

Intel PRO/1000 GT Gigabit Ethernet PCI Network Adapter Card NIC 

and I just tested a LARGE (300GB) file between the server and the desktop and never did it even blink.  I did this a few times to make sure.  my router is the new "ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 802.11AC Dual Band Gigabit 4X4 Antenna Wireless Router " and my desktop and server are wired not wireless.  Speed is 100% no latency, no issue from what I can see.

Yes, but that's using the normal OS on the computer, isn't it. To do the restore, you need to boot up from the WHS2011 Client Restore disk or USB drive.

Yes but I was using method two(2) from above:

Try no 2:

Searched and found a way to load the new SSD using another PC.  This looked simple and straight forward. Took SSD and installed in desktop PC, started the recovery as stated in video link below.

http://homeserversho...tore#entry57485

I just rebooted my desktop and my server...I now have data flowing between the two... at 746Mbps...so it seems to be working.